The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2023, 05:57 AM   #1
MikeB

My part-time job when I retired

This two-man shop (the owner and me) did all kinds of work on mostly 30s to 70s cars and trucks. The "Business Hours" sign gives you an idea of how important it was to be at work on time.

Loved that place, but the Obamacare law jacked up the owner's medical insurance premiums by a factor of 3-4 , so he ended up fixing school busses for the county, and then teaching auto shop at a community college.
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 10:07 AM   #2
Orefactory4x4 swb

Re: My part-time job when I retired

That seems to be a popular schedule these days with some.
Orefactory4x4 swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 07:48 PM   #3
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orefactory4x4 swb View Post
That seems to be a popular schedule these days with some.
He was so swamped with his top twenty customers' cars that he didn't need walk-in business. So if someone was offended by the humorous sign, so be it. And, after all, it was his business!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 07-24-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
Orefactory4x4 swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
He was so swamped with his top twenty customers' cars that he didn't need walk-in business. So if someone was offended by the humorous sign, so be it. And, after all, it was his business!
I think it was a funny sign, I’m thinking you took it wrong
I try myself to get people to work and thats about what they want there schedule to be.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:15 AM   #5
Orefactory4x4 swb

I was talking to my brother in law yesterday about how he bids his plumbing bids. And he showed me a form he uses. There was a box with a s by it. I asked ,and he told me it was a stupid box to remember to bump bid by 10% because he could see they would be bugging and asking a lot of stupid questions while on site trying to work. He liked the sign…
Old 07-24-2023, 10:44 AM   #6
Micmac

I worked for the "gubermint" and we had a couple of guys we nicknamed "Now & Then" because that's when they came to work. Nice sign.
1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster with Sidecar.
2012 Indian Chief Serial #002 of 110 built in '12
2016 Indian Chief Roadmaster
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 11:06 AM   #7
MikeB

Quote:
I think it was a funny sign, I’m thinking you took it wrong:
I did. Sorry. It's after 10AM here, so I need to get to work.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:38 PM   #8
Orefactory4x4 swb

Quote:
I did. Sorry. It's after 10AM here, so I need to get to work.
No problem, just didn’t want you thinking I was talking s@#$ to you.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:43 PM   #9
Orefactory4x4 swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micmac View Post
I worked for the "gubermint" and we had a couple of guys we nicknamed "Now & Then" because that's when they came to work. Nice sign.
Id say that would make some good “preferred gender” . But I’d get in trouble probably
Old 07-24-2023, 06:53 PM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Heard on this morning's news, some people claim "time blindness" prevents them from getting to work on time. They showed a young woman who failed a job interview that she showed up late for.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:46 PM   #11
Orefactory4x4 swb

I’m e retired bridge painter. I remember one morning a guy came into the office at 705 claiming he had a job. The owner told him you did 5 minutes ago.
Old 07-25-2023, 11:23 AM   #12
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
... a young woman who failed a job interview that she showed up late for.
Not exactly a good start!

Back in the day, I'd be so early to a job interview, that I could hang out for 30 minutes or more in my car or at McDonald's drinking coffee.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:25 PM   #13
Ironhorse

Being retired almost 14 years I LIKE the sign! Friend of mine at my work was always called "Blister" . It wasn't because he raised them on his hands from working so hard, it was because he usually didn't show up until after most of the work was done!
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 05:33 PM   #14
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
I was talking to my brother in law yesterday about how he bids his plumbing bids. And he showed me a form he uses. There was a box with a s by it. I asked ,and he told me it was a stupid box to remember to bump bid by 10% because he could see they would be bugging and asking a lot of stupid questions while on site trying to work. He liked the sign…
A guy I used to work for years ago called that the "dumbass tax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Heard on this morning's news, some people claim "time blindness" prevents them from getting to work on time. They showed a young woman who failed a job interview that she showed up late for.
My Ex-wife had a bad case of that. She would leave to house at the time she was supposed to be there, whether the drive was 15 minute or 2 hours.
The annoying thing was that she would be very mad if anyone would "adjust the time" they told her, hoping she would be there at the correct time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:31 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
This two-man shop (the owner and me) did all kinds of work on mostly 30s to 70s cars and trucks. The "Business Hours" sign gives you an idea of how important it was to be at work on time.

Loved that place, but the Obamacare law jacked up the owner's medical insurance premiums by a factor of 3-4 , so he ended up fixing school busses for the county, and then teaching auto shop at a community college.
"Obamacare" the act written by Republican Paul Ryan; the name for the Affordable Care Act, used by people who don't like Obama. Got it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 12:04 AM   #16
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
"Obamacare" the act written by Republican Paul Ryan; the name for the Affordable Care Act, used by people who don't like Obama. Got it.
OK. It's the Affordable Care Act. But it's not very affordable for the self-employed, or even for small companies that provide insurance for their employees.

It's like the "Inflation Reduction Act", which does everything but reduce inflation. It's kind of like me telling my wife that a new engine for my truck will increase our savings account balance.
Old 07-26-2023, 12:09 AM   #17
67swb72klb

"Obamacare" the act written by Republican Paul Ryan
Old 07-26-2023, 06:07 AM   #18
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

My new motto since retirement is " no alarm clock,no time clock" start when I want quit when I want If I do a side job it's done on my terms or I don't do it. So far it's working, more money than when working and less hours lol!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 10:47 AM   #19
Orefactory4x4 swb

Quote:
OK. It's the Affordable Care Act. But it's not very affordable for the self-employed, or even for small companies that provide insurance for their employees.

It's like the "Inflation Reduction Act", which does everything but reduce inflation. It's kind of like me telling my wife that a new engine for my truck will increase our savings account balance.
Lol, now your using the new leader in charge savings plan.
Old 07-26-2023, 10:57 AM   #20
Orefactory4x4 swb

Quote:
Why does everyone call the “affordable care act “ Obamacare anyway? When he signed it into law stuck he’s came on it? I’m not sure. I do know big pharmaceutical companies love it.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:11 PM   #21
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Why does everyone call the “affordable care act “ Obamacare anyway? When he signed it into law stuck he’s came on it? I’m not sure. I do know big pharmaceutical companies love it.
He has never shied away from it. It's a legacy and an ego-stroke.

The main thing I got from it was the biggest lie perpetrated on the American people...... "If you like your Dr, you can keep him."

The only thing more detestable is Biden misquoting the Declaration of Independence.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men and women are created equal...."

Ah, no. Modern vision of how things should be or not, it doesn't give anyone the right to change history.
It does NOT say that.....like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:29 PM   #22
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Those two guys are pretty much the same anyway.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:55 PM   #23
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Let's back off the politics fellas. We don't want to upset Liz. She's got a big ole hammer and isn't afraid to use it.

I used to interview and hire people for my company and this one guy came in really late. He called and said he had a flat tire. We took that with a grain of salt.

But he showed up all dirty in a uniform, all sweaty. He explained that he couldn't leave his preset job any earlier and then he had a flat and that we could go look at his car and see.

He got the job and he is now the President of the local union.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 09:00 PM   #24
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Let's back off the politics fellas. We don't want to upset Liz. She's got a big ole hammer and isn't afraid to use it.

I used to interview and hire people for my company and this one guy came in really late. He called and said he had a flat tire. We took that with a grain of salt.

But he showed up all dirty in a uniform, all sweaty. He explained that he couldn't leave his preset job any earlier and then he had a flat and that we could go look at his car and see.

He got the job and he is now the President of the local union.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote