The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2023, 01:45 PM   #1
Angrywood

starter not aligning

IF this has been covered i havent found the answer i need.

i removed my starter on my 62 SBC 327 to clean it up because it wasnt engaging when the key was turned. benched tested it after cleaning up the posts on the solenoid and it was working properly.

put it back on the truck and its not engaging the flywheel properly. just makes a grinding noise and does not turn the flywheel. whats the trick on getting it aligned? i dont think i would have to shim because there were no shims when i took the starter off. what am i missing here?

ive searched the internet and most videos all discuss the shims. but like i said i dont know why i would need shims now.

thanks in advance

Last edited by Angrywood; 09-16-2023 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added info
Angrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 02:23 PM   #2
Chevy nutcase

Re: starter not aligning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrywood View Post
IF this has been covered i havent found the answer i need.

i removed my starter on my 62 SBC 327 to clean it up because it wasnt engaging when the key was turned. benched tested it after cleaning up the posts on the solenoid and it was working properly.

put it back on the truck and its not engaging the flywheel properly. just makes a grinding noise and does not turn the flywheel. whats the trick on getting it aligned? i dont think i would have to shim because there were no shims when i took the starter off. what am i missing here?

ive searched the internet and most videos all discuss the shims. but like i said i dont know why i would need shims now.

thanks in advance
You might have a bad spot on the flywheel or the starter gear. Roll the motor over a few degrees by hand and try it
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 03:45 PM   #3
Accelo

This is a pet peeve of mine.
First inspect the aluminum nose cone of the starter. Should have GM with a part number on it. Lacking any GM identification? Then it's a generic overseas casting that the re-builders replace.
I take the coil off and then you can move the Bendix drive in so you can measure the clearance between the gears. That should give you a place to start. "Roll the motor over using the nut on the harmonic balancer, if it has one, so you can inspect the flex plate gear like Chevy Nutcase suggested. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by Accelo; 09-16-2023 at 05:28 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 03:52 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Great suggestions.

Especially taking the solenoid off.

Only thing I can think of to add is checking the bolts.
That they are the correct bolts with good knurling still on them,
and that they are not bent.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 06:22 PM   #5
Angrywood

I did the suggested advice of nutcase.. unfortunately it didn’t help. Now Im back to I turn the key and nothing happens. Looks like I’m taking it off again and hopefully figure it out with Accelo suggestions. Nose cone looked in good shape and did not look like aluminum.

Bolts were straight and in good shape getr done.

One thing I noticed before was that is was dry. Not sure the correct term of the Rod/gear in the starter but was wondering if I should grease it up while it’s off?

Last edited by Angrywood; 09-16-2023 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-17-2023, 03:05 PM   #6
Accelo

I didn't inquire if this was a manual or automatic. They use vastly different starters.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:17 PM   #7
Angrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I didn't inquire if this was a manual or automatic. They use vastly different starters.
It’s a manual.

One thing I did notice today that it has 3 different length bolts. The long one I know went to the top but the other two I wasn’t paying attention for the bottom
. Would that make a difference?

Bench tested it again today. Noticed the rod was not even pushing the gears into the teeth of the fly wheel. Put some grease on the rod and is now pushing the gears all away across. Charged the battery up over night. Hoping when I get this on with a fully charged battery and some grease it start working right again.

Hopefully it works with the spacing!

Last edited by Angrywood; 09-17-2023 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Info
Old 09-17-2023, 07:55 PM   #8
Angrywood

got everything back together but the spacing/alignment is still off. dont see how when all i did was take it off and put it back on. seems as if the starter gear is too far into the teeth of the flywheel. ive read there needs to be roughly 1/8 inch gap. just confused how it worked before i removed it without a shim but now it is not aligning on the reinstall?
Old 09-19-2023, 07:30 PM   #9
Angrywood

are there any tricks in buying a new starter like there are for alternators?

im going to replace this starter and see what happens. i see places like summit racing has OEM powermasters and tuffstuff has some OEMs as well. but local autoparts stores dont carry any for the year. i got a 62 SBC 327 with manual tranny. Starter now is a 3 bolt to the bellhousing.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:55 PM   #10
Wrenchbender Ret

You probably have a bad starter drive. The drive is a one way clutch. When it gets worn it won't engage the gear to the armature shaft. The drive is fairly easy to replace. You can clean up the starter & replace the brushes if necessary.

George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:26 PM   #11
Angrywood

I went out and just bought a new powermaster starter. everything looked pretty equal to what my original starter looked like. i did have to grind down some of the nose areas in order to get it to fit and bolt onto the bellhousing. however the gap between the flexplate and the starter gear is too small. hopefully someone can save me some time and back aches and let me know what bolt/s i need to shim to open up this gap and where to put the shim (between starter and housing or bolt and starter?) im hoping that will be all i need and it will be working. I was able to start the truck but the gears grinded while starting. dont worry.... no damage to the gear teeth on either side that i could see. heres my hole pattern.... crossing my fingers i get an answer as im tired of laying on by back under the truck!!
Attached Images