The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2023, 09:44 AM   #1
Chevy nutcase

6cyl to 8 cyl fuel pump question

I finally decided to add 2 more cylinders to my 66 and the motor I chose came from a 77 corvette. I've replaced a lot more in-tank electrical pumps than I have mechanical pumps so I'm wondering why the pump on this motor has a return line to the tank when the one on my 6 cyl does not? The pump in question is brand new and I thought it would be one less thing to buy until I noticed that 3rd port. My first thought was having to buy a new sending unit that has a return and running a new line until I looked up a factory replacement pump for a 66 v8 and they don't seem to have a return line. Would I be ok just getting that style pump or am I completely off base here?
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:49 AM   #2
Chevy Fleetside

Re: 6cyl to 8 cyl fuel pump question

Most fuel pumps have 3 ports because they are designed to supply fuel to the engine, return excess fuel back to the fuel tank, and vent any excess pressure or vapor from the fuel system. This helps to ensure that the fuel system is operating correctly and efficiently by maintaining the correct fuel pressure and preventing any air from entering the system. You could probably just put a fuel pump for a 60's truck. I believe they did this because of charcoal canisters.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 03:42 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Fuel pumps with a return port were not available in the '66 model year, afaik.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:18 PM   #4
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Fuel pumps with a return port were not available in the '66 model year, afaik.
Thank you for clearing that up. I know how a mechanical pump works but now that I know there's a version that returns excess fuel back to the tank, how does the older style not blow rubber lines apart or force fuel past the needle and float in a carb? My other question would be since this 350 is going to be "hopefully" double stock hp should I stick with the old or new return style? If so is there a sending unit to accommodate a return line ?
Old 09-28-2023, 10:04 PM   #5
cwcarpenter98

If you want to keep the pump with a return line, you can modify your stock sending unit by adding a return line fitting to it. Or you could add the return fitting to the stock tank.

Many trouble free miles have been driven with non-return mechanical fuel pumps, so it's more just a matter of preference.

I did have to put a new fuel pump on my 63 last year. I used a Delphi pump and haven't had any issues with it since

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:19 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The return line was implemented to help keep the pump from vapor lock by recirculating fuel as a "coolant". A recirculating pump will not have any lower pressure necessarily than a non-recirc type. I've run a stock (no recirc line) pump on Pontiacs all the way to 400 HP with no issues. I had a Le Mans with a RA III that could get to 260° idling in traffic without vapor locking. Of course, that was back in the '70s. Alcohol in the fuel may make a difference.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:15 PM   #7
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
The return line was implemented to help keep the pump from vapor lock by recirculating fuel as a "coolant". A recirculating pump will not have any lower pressure necessarily than a non-recirc type. I've run a stock (no recirc line) pump on Pontiacs all the way to 400 HP with no issues. I had a Le Mans with a RA III that could get to 260° idling in traffic without vapor locking. Of course, that was back in the '70s. Alcohol in the fuel may make a difference.
Luckily I have a gas station that sells ethanol free gas 5 min from my house