The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Priceless

Bottle of Crown Royal for using friends trailer = $23.95

Blowing trailer tire on I-35, finding a guy coming out of his apartment who was willing to go get his cutting torch to cut piece of trailer fender well that cut and destroyed tire = $20.00

Walmart spare tire = $33.95

Tipping Walmart employee willing to put us at head of 1 hour 15 minute waiting list to mount tire = $5.00

Gas money = about $100

Owning a 1970 Blazer = PRICELESS

Headed down to Irving, Texas yesterday at 4 a.m., picked up Barn9 in Winfield and made good time arriving in Irving, Texas at about 10:30.

The Blazer is better than I could ever have hoped. Owner confirmed it is a Texas truck, he was the second owner if you don't count the car lot he bought it from.

Very little rust. Both rockers need to be replaced but that is really all I have been able to find. The floor is in like new condition, at least from looking under the Blazer. It has carpet in it so haven't looked under it yet. There are some dents and some visible old bondo under a couple areas but that is no biggie. Top appears to be in very good shape, no visible cracks. The rear hatch opens and stays up. It has a tire carrier on the outside of the rear of the truck.

Both bumpers are in good shape, the front one is in excellent shape. The grill is in better shape than the grill I bought to put on my 69 K20. I would say the grill is in just about new condition. Only one of the black plastic inner grill pieces is broken.

It did have the Dana 20 which was damaged. The owner didn't have it, it was at a friends but I didn't want him to ship it to me as I will just go with an NP205. Rather than a three speed, it has the 4 speed manual which is great as that is what I would have put in the truck.

Engine is definitely a 400 sb and I really think it will just need an oil change, new plugs, wires, distributor work and a fuel pump to get it going. He said it will turn over. There is a small 2 barrel carb on it right now, it has a 4 barrel carb in the back of the Blazer, unknown type, I just saw it back there.

The owner says the rear drive shaft is at another friends and he promised to try to get it and send it to me. If not, well we will see what I can find.

Tires are definitely trash, they lost air very quickly. They don't have a height size but can't be any bigger than 31's or 33's.

The rear has a lift block that appears to be about 4" so I think he was wrong on it having a 6" lift. No problem, I won't stay that way anyway. No steering correction either.

Brakes aren't working and the power steering puked some fluid when we were dragging the Blazer out of the guys back yard.

It has a few years worth of trash in the rear of the Blazer which I am eager to get out. Haven't been able to really inspect the interior yet. Has all three seats but is missing a center console.

Body mounts are about nonexistent.

Roll bar does not look very strong.

All in all I am very pleased and think I got an extreme bargain. The body alone is in such good shape that it is worth more than $600 in my opinion.

I will get some more pics and post them on Monday.

As for my plans, I want to get a transfer case back in it, get the rear driveshaft problem addressed and get the truck running. I have depleted my project funds pretty much with my 69 K20 so this one can just stay as is for a while. I have some mud tires that I can put on this Blazer if I can find some 16" 6 lug rims around here. Future plans will probably center around better tires and rims, better axles and lots of enjoyment. Oh yea, a soft top is in order. I don't think I will worry about paint for a few years - makes them more difficult to enjoy is you get a nice paint job.

It was a great adventure for Barn9 and me. Was nice to have someone to talk with on the drive and sure needed the help with the trip. Barn9 is a great story teller and has been on stage with Ted Nugent I have learned. Introduced Barn9 to some new music - I think he has a liking for Kid Rock now. Really seemed to enjoy track two on Kid Rock's cd, Stereo.

Having a blowout on I-35 was a bit much, Barn9 could have done without that.

Ended up not driving into the ice storm - by the time I got home the temp had risen and melted the streets. Only found ice when I turned off onto a dirt road to my house and it was pretty icy there.

Gonna get the Blazer unloaded today and hopefully get some better pictures tonight.

Here are a couple pics of the 1970 K5 Blazer.

Here's the filthy 400 small block with what appears to be a 2 barrel carb.

Pretty bare options sheet

Tire carrier - stock?

Grill and bumper in very good condition - stock push bar?

Last edited by Yukon Jack; 06-24-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #2
miket

Congrats yukon...aside from the fun trip sounds like a great score for ya!

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #3
Kid

And thought Barn9 was a perty good ol boy, till I read the part about Kid Rock (just kidding) sounds like quite the trip. Sounds like you picked up a real good base for your next project
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The only thing better than roadtrips, are roadtrips with a new friend.
And the only thing that can make that better is getting a truck on the other end of that trip.
Sounds like you guys had fun, and the tire thing is nothing but a minor set back. Besides, knowing you'll get there and back takes all the fun out of a roadtrip!
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:11 PM   #5
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Hey Mark, sounds like a interesting trip, also sounds like a great buy!!! I got some 33 tires and wheels up here I'd deal with you on if interested. Have fun with the blazer!!! I'll have one some day.
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:16 PM   #6
griesel72

way to go mark, i think you got a really good deal, and it shouldn't be a problem to fix the list of problems it has. I would hold off on the body work for a while, you can't have as much fun when you are worring about new paint and putting a dent in her.

Can't wait to see some more pics

David
2006 King Ranch
1980 Wife
griesel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:30 PM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

Have fun with it!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:38 PM   #8
Mudder

ok i'm jealous
Going to go get me a trailer.....
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:43 PM   #9
barn9
Half a bubble off!

LOL at Kid! Don't worry man, I won't be buying any Kid Rock CD's, although I wouldn't mind a copy of that one song, hehee!
It was a long day, but we had a good time. The blowout on the trailer was a bit stressful, being stranded in heavy traffic is not fun IMO. After that ordeal and the delay in finding and waiting for the spare to be mounted, we had the worry that we were driving into an ice storm, but calls home gave us hope that the roads weren't too bad, and as it turned out, everything was OK. I stayed up for the hour it took Mark to get home, I had told him to just call my house and let it ring once, that way I would know he made it safely. After that one ring, I was able to relax, and I hardly remember my head hitting the pillow. I'll let Mark tell the story about what we ran up against in preping and loading the Blazer, it is a story in itself, not void of a few instances deserving of laughter! He got himself a good score, and that grin on his face all day was worth the price of admission. And best of all, another of these great trucks has been saved!
Old 02-01-2004, 04:04 PM   #10
junkyardjohn

Lightbulb

CONGRATS YUKON... FIRST GEN. BLAZERS ARE GREAT. SOUNDS LIKE YOU PICKED UP A SUPER DEAL , & YOU & BARN HAD A GREAT TRIP. THERES NOTHING BETTER THAN A ROADTRIP TO PICK UP A NEW TRUCK WITH A GOOD FRIEND. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 06:05 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

"Male Bonding Rocks"
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:17 PM   #12
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Bonding with dancing girls is more fun!
Old 02-01-2004, 11:20 PM   #13
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Congrats Yukon! Glad it went OK. be looking forward to seeing move of the Blazer!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:59 AM   #14
Hooter
My other Love

what do you mean by the roll bar not being soo strong?
  • 77 fully loaded silverado (back in the backyard for a little while longer)
  • 1980 BMW 320i (back in the garage finally)
  • 1981 f@*d f150 4x4 (Robert red ford) tried to kill me
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike
Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com AC/DC RULES!!!
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:51 PM   #15
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Hooter, the roll bar appeared to be a cheap bolt together model, not of very heavy tubing. Mark will know more once he gets some of the junk and crap out of the inside (thrown in by the PO at no extra charge), which will allow a better look at it.
By the way Mark, where are those pics? And I bet you STILL have that big ol' grin on yer face, LOL!
Old 02-02-2004, 09:58 PM   #16
Warbones
Navel Inspector

Congrats guys! Good times and good friends are priceless!

1967 CST C10 Long Bed with a 283
Warbones is offline   Reply With Quote