View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 01:39 AM   #222
Jvsapp

Re: '66 Sunbeam Minx Project - F20C/6sp/4-link/Discs...

my cabinet i built it. it's big enough to hold a rear end. started off as wood sides on a metal frame, but now i'm changing the door to a steel welded frame with aluminum skin. made the glass a standard size so i can just go get a replacement from big ORANGE for $6 when it gets too pitted up. i use a siphon feed gun with the intake hose on the bottom of the hopper. i'll get some better pics for you, but here's a ford air cleaner for a friend i was blasting to powdercoat for him

as for media it all depends on what you are blasting and what you plan on doing with it. for steel with heavy rust, i use aluminum oxide. steel with light rust garnet. aluminum with a rough texture garnet. aluminum that i want a nice sheen to, glass bead. aluminum or other soft metal just cleaning, baking soda. i've even used baking soda to "frost" plastic like plexiglass.

i've used starblast to take off rust too it's good, but doesn't last. breaks down fast. green diamond was awesome, but it contains silica. walnut shells are good for stripping paint, but STING LIKE HELL when they hit your skin... it all depends on what you want. but garnet is a good all around media. lasts pretty long too. dusts a little. glass bead doesnt' dust hardly any. if you are planning to powdercoat anything then garnet would be a must. glass bead will "peen" the finish. smooth it out too much and not have any bite. if you plan to do cermaic coating on steel, you would need aluminum oxide. don't use it on aluminum or any other soft metal. it will pitt it.

been blasting for a hobby for almost 8 yrs now so i have a little experience

Last edited by Jvsapp; 08-08-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote