The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
Jvsapp

93 corolla JDM 20V swap

Ok so I figure that being my daily driver developed a knock(probably due to some street racing) and it has 170K miles i'm about due for a new motor. So I've been dream building in my mind for a while what I would like to do with the car once the engine crapped out. I definitely wanted to go 5 speed, but what engine. A SBC wouldn't fit, so I figured I keep it in the Toyota family. Original motor is a 7AF, twin overhead cam, 115 HP stock. It shares the same family as the 4AG series motors. These motors are notorious for having a high rev and are popular in the drifting world. They came supercharged in US MR2 or in some JDM(Japan Domestic Market) Corollas. There are also turbo kits that will up the horse power of a 4AG to the 160hp range(blue top 16V version, or red top 16V high comp version). Doing more research, i stumbled across some other interesting swaps. I found a link to a 3SGTE(celica all trac turbo or MR2 turbo) motor in the same car I have. Now this started the wheels of thinking. My mother has a 99 Camry that has a 1MZ V6 in it. While swapping the radiator for my coworker one day I noticed on her 97 Camry that she had a 5SGE. This prompted some more research and i found that the 3SGTE shares the same block family as the 5SGE. Now my brain was flying. Could i stick a 1MZ all aluminum V6 into my corolla? 220hp stock. That would be a total sleeper. I had already gotten a 5 speed tranny from a 4AGE silvertop that my friend put into his 86 corolla. But that wouldn't work with the 1MZ. A month back I was able to acquire a 5 speed tranny that came from a 3SGTE MR2. This i found shares the same bell housing as the 1MZ so I thought I was on my way. That was when I noticed a nice knock at 3K rpm.... so I had to do something with my car.

I wound up buying this:

http://tinyurl.com/dkd5at

and it just arrived. So here it is sitting in the back of my truck all 1280lbs of it.

i'll probably start tearing it down tomorrow. enjoy

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-19-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: 93 corolla JDM 20V swap

That should be pretty fun to drive when done alota power in such a small car
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Jvsapp

im hoping so. it's still going to be a 4 cylinder because what i purchased was a 4AG, but it's a blacktop from japan which puts out 165 HP stock and i can still add boost to it relatively easily thanks to the MAP sensor wiring on this version of motor. all the previous versions used MAF.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-21-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
OARNGESI

Yeah but the extra power will be nice i had a 94 civic with the h22a huge difference very close to same ratios too
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Jvsapp

i forgot my camera today well i only got the radiator, shrouds, battery, washer out today so not much. was trying to get the struts off and the CV's out but i need a deep socket now. tomorrow is another day..

on another note i scored a 4AGZE today as well. comes with an extra supercharger and a spare block on the side along with some other parts. all for $200. made payment gonna pick it up saturday.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-19-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Frizzle Fry

Let's see pics of the victim!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Wow cant wait to see this done..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #8
Jvsapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Let's see pics of the victim!

here's my car that the motor is going into.

Japan Lights front and rear. no corner reflectors deconstruction pics coming tomorrow. i keep forgetting the camera.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-21-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
Jvsapp

Radiator, battery, overflow tank, washer tank, under shields out from the other day.

trying to make some progress. i had some difficulties with one of the steering links. so i decided to take a break and pick up some parts . scored a 4AGZE DLI motor, supercharger, accesories with bracket, a box of extra valve covers, AFM, brand new HKS valve springs, used 4AGZE rods and pistons, and a 4AG blue top from a rear wheel drive AE86 GTS corolla. also got the GTS seats. all that was for $200. Now back to the teardown

nose to nose with the clip

4AGE Blacktop waiting for it's move

finally got the struts out. tomorrow hopefully i can finish removing all the wires and pull the engine out.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #10
Jvsapp

more updates. got the header out, alternator, most of the wiring, the heater hoses, fuel vapor canister, fuel filter bracket, auto trans wiring, AC pump wired out of the way, most of the hoses. also found a good use for some postal flat rate boxes. Damn CV joints are stubborn. i am struggling taking them out. hopefully tomorrow more progress if not then wed for sure... enjoy

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-24-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
Jvsapp

few more updates. got the power steering pump out, starter, finished taking out the rest of the wires and had to get the BFH out to pop out the CV's. got the pass out, still have to take the drivers out. hopefully tomorrow or friday for sure. engine is coming out. enjoy

also took a little time to clean the 20V before i start stripping it.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-26-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
samwise68
FarmBoy.

-shudder-

Look at all those wires and hoses...eep! Haha, man. I dislike new stuff. But that sucker is gonna have some get up!

Props to you for doing it all yourself, and not just selling the car. Reminds me of when my sister blew up the 3.1 L V6 in her car. I wanted them to put a 3.8 SuperCharged in it...but, to no avail.

Keep at it man, I'll be watching.

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
Jvsapp

hoses, wiring and parts... OH MY..... yeah it's kinna overwhelming. got the old engine out it fought us for almost 2 hrs. stubborn bolt on the trans, we wound up dropping the cross member out the bottom and pushing the hood WAY open and it cleared. i wrestled out the remaining wiring harness as well as the auto shifter. forgot to take pics of the interior where i needed to take the lower dash out to get to the computer and wiring and shifter. also i started stripping the clip. got some of the parts out, some of the wiring undone, didn't take a pic of how we left it, camera died. anyway probably have a new update sunday on it.... i think i found a way to get it out faster, so keep the fingers crossed that i don't get any more beatup and bloody. crap i forgot i need to degrease the floor too. the transes puked on the garage floor.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM   #14
Jvsapp

ok weekend of busting my ass. sorry i didn't have a chance to update but here they come.... got the blacktop out, got the subframes out, found out they are different. stole the sway bar from the AE111 sub frame and used a spare AE102 sub frame i had. got the engine bay cleaned up and started transferring things.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-31-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:04 AM   #15
Jvsapp

few more pics. sheet metal stripped from clip parts for the swap and starting to put swap the parts over after cleaning. swapping in the 5 speed parts and the stripped dashes.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #16
Jvsapp

not much going on. i got the harnesses off both engines. i think I'm going to have to break down and send them off to phoenix tuning and have Dr tweak get them all squared away. i have received my timing belt so that'll be swapped in probably Friday. then again my friend wants me to blast his wheels for his 50 merc. there's a car show going on on the 18th and he's entering his chopped 4 door. trying to finish it up so i told him i'd help him out with the wheels. pics to come. i did get the clutch master mounted, and the line ran so some slow progress. the clutch pedal and brake pedal i scored from the junkyard won't bolt right in. i stole the JDM one from the clip and i may cut and weld the pedals to make one that might work for me. we'll see.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:35 AM   #17
rod86
great southern land

thats gonna be a ball tearer when its all done, i would like to shove a 4AGZE in my old AE86 hatch someday ..... and maybe do a rear wheel drive conversion using levin/sprinter rear suspension...

86 chevy c10 silverado
rod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #18
Jvsapp

thanks for the comment. speaking of 4AGZE i picked up one for $200 it does need a rebuild though. it'll probably wind up in my friends car though. i'll be happy with the 20V for now. no new updates at the mercy of the brown truck(UPS). probably get the timing belt in tomorrow if i can get that in and the clutch master squared away i think i can maybe get the motor back in. pics coming soon.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #19
Jvsapp

ok no new pics, but i do have an update. so i've been waiting for my clutch pedal, brake pedal, and throttle cable to come in from northridge toyota. i ordered they last week tuesday and it was supposed to ship via Fedex. well i sent an email tuesday asking where the parts were. called and left a VM yesterday. got an email this morning that broke my heart. said that my clutch pedal can't be located. that was the one part i needed to get going. the brake pedal i can cut down, but the clutch pedal is needed. i was about to break down and start cutting the celica one i got and try to make it work with the Japan one that came on the clip. i figure i go get the custom made power steering hose i dropped off yesterday to get made. $151 worth of custom JIC fittings and welded ends to work with my setup. i was supposed to head to my friends shop to get my tickets for this weekends Hotrod show. on the way down i figure i hit one of the junkyards and ask if they have any cars i can pull the parts from.

the yard owner said he didn't have any in at the moment. but did have a celica that i needed the throttle cable from. i asked to go check and low and behold through all 15 corollas i came across i FOUND A 5 SPEED ONE !!!!!!.... walked back out negotiated $45 for the parts and i walked out with the clutch pedal, brake pedal, clutch master, hard line and the celica throttle cable. the new pedals and throttle cable from northridge would have wound me $151. i sent an email to cancel them but i got a reply back stating that she shipped the parts except the clutch pedal that i needed. just my luck... up and down.... i did get the timing belt changed out yesterday so once i get some pics i'll include that pic for those who want the part number. the thing that caught me off guard was the tensioner for the belt. it's like a little shock absorber. weird. anyway hopefully pics tomorrow....
Old 04-18-2009, 01:12 AM   #20
4agze

Please review the rules before making offers to buy from other members. "Want To Buy" and "For Sale" posts are reserved for subscribing members.

Copide from the rules.

Quote:
XIV. As of October 15th 2005 subscribing members will be the only ones permitted to post for sale and want to buy ads on any classified section of this site. All other rules of buying and selling still apply. 67-72chevytrucks.com, its administrators or staff are not responsible for any transactions on or off the forums. We will work hard to ensure you a smooth transaction, and help in the event you may need it, but all for sale and trade areas are buyer beware. Any persons who have misrepresented an item, lie about an item, fail to deliver, or are in violation of any of the rules will forfeit there subscription fees and be banned from 67-72chevytrucks.com

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 04-18-2009 at 09:30 AM.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #21
Jvsapp

selling it? i just got it. almost done. you would probably have a better chance getting one there in AZ than getting mine from Hawaii. shipping the clip here was almost $1K
Old 04-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #22
Jvsapp

forgot to post these. these were from 4/18 when i picked up the custom hose and tried to install them. found out my custom hose was about 7" too long. i guess they forgot to take into account the fittings they put into the hose. i took it back and it's MONEY now.

the car is actually running now. i have more pics i'll post later along with what happened.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 AM   #23
Jvsapp

ok here's more pics. this is from 4/19-4/20. forgot to upload them here. just got too much going on. i can't remember the date, but i got the clutch master mounted. i think it was 4/16. but i had trouble with the masters itself. i did get everything from the 5 speed car and that made installing the pedals easier, but the master that came with that car was trash. i didn't know that till monday night when i tried using super blue to bleed the clutch master. i'll be using that in the brakes as well. here's some pics of the finished power steering hose and engine bay before the engine going in. i thought i had a shot of the engine in the air as it was about to go in, but i forgot i was alone that day so i didn't get the shot. as you can see the hose was exactly on the money.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 04-30-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:55 AM   #24
Jvsapp

few more from 4/20
started putting back hoses and routing wires. mounted the coil, ignitor, coolant hoses for heater, header, vacuum hoses, and alternator.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 04-30-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #25
Jvsapp

needed to add this to the last post, but time expired... oh well.

i did find out that the clutch flex line i had was too short. so i had to get a new one. nothing factory would fit and it would have taken the guy at checkers hours to go through everything. i wound up going back to the place that made my power steering hose and got a clutch hose made 2" longer for $23. i should have added one more inch. it was still a little tight with the USDM clutch hardline mount that i got from the junkyard. i measured with the JDM clutch hardline mount.