The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #1526
76C10Stepside

Re: '66 Sunbeam Minx Project - F20C/6sp/4-link/Discs...

I love those original seats! I say KEEP EM and screw the race seats.

By your musical choices, I can see you are a child of the nineties! I like Beck and Cake too. One of my best buds produced one of Beck's records and was a big part of his sound.
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #1527
watahyahknow

westfield makes verry nice 7 replicas , this one has a hayabusa engine
getting tunnelvision just from watching the video

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #1528
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
You say "Over the Top" as if it where a bad thing.
Hah, I guess you're right
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
How did I miss it moving??? Congrats!

Have to ask... what's the truck in the background? It looks really nice, it can't be the vette truck, that's still in primer, right? Is there an FJ hiding back there too? How may toys do you have man!?
That's the 64 fleet that's been in the family for 40+ years (Dad was the 2nd owner). It currently sports the inverted grille I did for the 61 (might as well put some of that project to use). The 68 FJ40 is my wife's. She wanted a Jeep, but I introduced her to the FJ instead (she loves it). A pile of parts await that one too...

Here's the current fleet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
I used Procars in my project Lola. Plan on fabbing your own mounting brackets though. They come with tracks, so fore and aft is covered, and the seat back reclines. Very comfortable.
Those look great. If I move away from stock it'll be for significant lateral support improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw365 View Post
Ha, looks like a small world. I thought that Yellow 914 looked familiar.

Here's my cousin's youtube feed, he mentions Britain Smith in it.
Small world indeed.

Quote:
I do like the Kirky ones but they might not have much padding for a daily driver.
Agreed
Quote:
All the seats scat makes don't have enough lateral support. Sticky tires, and good suspension would have you in the passenger seat in no time.
That's what I'm anticipating. I'm sure a seat upgrade is in the cards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
there a lot of adapterplates available for those bugs , there was one company here that made them to fit a alfa romeo alfasud engine to the gearbox , thats a flat 4 watercooled engine that realy likes to rev
........ come to think of it a subaru impreza has a flat 4 watercooled too only a LOT more powerfull and with a huge turbo
The Suby swap is very nice. Must...Resist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C10Stepside View Post
I love those original seats! I say KEEP EM and screw the race seats.

By your musical choices, I can see you are a child of the nineties! I like Beck and Cake too. One of my best buds produced one of Beck's records and was a big part of his sound.
They are cool looking. Anything I go with will be equally suited

Yes, I graduated High School in '95 I listen to 94.7 Portland when not listening to Pandora. It's pretty diverse with a good selection of 90's up to new stuff that you will hear there first.
Quote:
westfield makes verry nice 7 replicas
Here's a locost with F20C:
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #1529
markw365

Gah! I don't need a project, I don't need a project, I don't need a project.

The locost is cool. There's a few 7's down here in the San Diego region and until the shifter karts came along they would own top time of day. That locost video looks like it was taken at Bremerton?? That place was my first exposure to cars that handled, was stationed there in the early 90's. A locost with a miata drivetrain would be cool, I'd sell my 91 Si to help fund that. Anyone making chassis kits? Or is there a market in the US for those?

Mark
markw365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #1530
watahyahknow

the locost are ok but there bodypanel fit isnt as good as the westfield kits besides the spaceframe and front / rearsuspension are waaaaay better than those of the locost , i read a couple of builds on the interent and theres a pretty drastic difference the only thing that might be a problem is the fact that there based in england
i would go for the light and reving motorcycle engine for roadcourseracing , there usually run fast out of the box have sinquensentual (?) gear shifting (forwarth for up rear for down ) and a second gearbox for reverse gears and they prolly last longer than a tuned car engine too

i seen a hilclimbcar a while back that gad a verry interesting setup : it had a verry big turbo driven not by the exaust but by a small starter turbine out of a helicopter
it would need to start the motor (running pig rich ) then start the turbine
it has full turboboost all the way to the revbandand it goes like the clappers
more info http://raceenginedesign.biz/Manic-Beattie.htm

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 10-27-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #1531
thor

Quote:
A locost with a miata drivetrain would be cool, I'd sell my 91 Si to help fund that. Anyone making chassis kits? Or is there a market in the US for those?

Mark
Maybe something like this: http://exomotive.com/exocet/ [/derail]

thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #1532
markw365

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
Maybe something like this: http://exomotive.com/exocet/ [/derail]
You suck. May investigate that option for a miata drivetrain. I just can't bring myself to driving a "chick" car off the track.

That Type 3 would be cool with a suby in it. My dad would be turning over in his grave though, muttering "darkside". samba.com and type3.org are a good source on parts and stuff for it. Looks like you're missing a few.

Mark
markw365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:03 AM   #1533
Frizzle Fry

The squareback is 99% complete. Removed parts are in the shop attic. The build thread, if we do one, will probably be on thesamba.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #1534
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
The squareback is 99% complete. Removed parts are in the shop attic. The build thread, if we do one, will probably be on thesamba.
Posted via Mobile Device
...until you realized that it, much like the Sunbeam, was underpowered and desperately needed an Suby Sti motor and trans.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 10-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #1535
Frizzle Fry

Mid-Engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
...until you realized that it, much like the Sunbeam, was underpowered and desperately needed an Suby Sti motor and trans.

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 10-29-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #1536
thor

Quote:
Mid-Engine...
:stirpot: http://www.exocars.net/showthread.php?t=5986 :stirpot:

Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #1537
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:

I'm diggin these Corbeau Classic Buckets.
They look like the headrests can be taken out. You might be able to order a set minus the headrest too.

I have run several sets of Corbeau seats over the years and was very happy with the fit and quality.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #1538
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Some parts on the way

These are actually glass. Pics don't do them justice. Made by Hella. Goodbye sealed beams:
Hella (and a few others) make a 55 watt low beam 100 watt high beam H4 bulb that works great in those lights.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...0141/overview/

I ran them in my CJ5. High beam is brutal but the low beam side is street legal.

The best thing is that they are not blue tinted.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #1539
lofly'a

One word Fizzle: AWESOME.........
i haven't visited this thread for a while and was pleasantly surprised to see it flying down the road.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #1540
Jvsapp

dangit! late to the party. guess that's what i get for being MIA for a few months dealing with life oh well. congrats FF to getting it on the road. Looks awesome, sounds awesome, waiting to get the call to book my flight for the Shotgun ride jk....

i can't wait to see it all finished, the interior squared away, paint done. the rear rack you might want to find one from a MG. i think they had some low profile ones. some of the older lotus had some too.

give me some motivation to get back in my garage now, but i still can't touch my nova..... guess i'll have to work on my 20V rebuild.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #1541
67cheby
67cheby

man killed it on the Sunbeam, love the rest of the collection !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #1542
chevyrestoguy

I have followed this build since the thread began, and you have knocked this one right out of the park! I remember when you were piecing all of the inner structure under the hood, and I thought, "Man, this guy is crazy". I have to imagine that there were a few times when you must have thought about what you have gotten yourself into. You went down completely unchartered territory and you made it work.

To see it run around under it's own power makes me so happy for you. Very, very, very few guys could have done what you did. You have an amazing skill set, imagination, and will power, and I can't wait to see what's next.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #1543
Frizzle Fry

Hey guys. Got busy there for a few days...

I started making another vid but had some technical difficulties ...decided to get on with it and have begun the final tear down! Might post a clip or two tho. Just need some time on the iMac (my wife has one for graphic design).

Also in the news... It's getting a full paint job Same colors.

Looking at picking up or building a rotisserie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
They look like the headrests can be taken out. You might be able to order a set minus the headrest too.

I have run several sets of Corbeau seats over the years and was very happy with the fit and quality.
I'm leaning toward the classics. With no headrests would be ideal. I hear they are comfy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Hella (and a few others) make a 55 watt low beam 100 watt high beam H4 bulb that works great in those lights.

I ran them in my CJ5. High beam is brutal but the low beam side is street legal.

The best thing is that they are not blue tinted.
55/100 would be great. No ricer BS tinted lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofly'a View Post
One word Fizzle: AWESOME.........
i haven't visited this thread for a while and was pleasantly surprised to see it flying down the road.
Thanks mang! Can't wait to daily drive it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvsapp View Post
dangit! late to the party. guess that's what i get for being MIA for a few months dealing with life oh well. congrats FF to getting it on the road. Looks awesome, sounds awesome, waiting to get the call to book my flight for the Shotgun ride jk....

i can't wait to see it all finished, the interior squared away, paint done. the rear rack you might want to find one from a MG. i think they had some low profile ones. some of the older lotus had some too.

give me some motivation to get back in my garage now, but i still can't touch my nova..... guess i'll have to work on my 20V rebuild.
Was wondering when you'd chime in. You're probably the top commenter on this thread (besides me). I was driving a classic mini copper for about a month (way too fun). That got me motivated to drive this thing in full mock-up mode. Glad I did! found a few glitches and fixed 'em. On to paint/powder/finish
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
man killed it on the Sunbeam, love the rest of the collection !
Thanks Mike! Cloud-9 is unreal! We're gonna have to get some tubz on the Tahoe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
I have followed this build since the thread began, and you have knocked this one right out of the park! I remember when you were piecing all of the inner structure under the hood, and I thought, "Man, this guy is crazy". I have to imagine that there were a few times when you must have thought about what you have gotten yourself into. You went down completely unchartered territory and you made it work.

To see it run around under it's own power makes me so happy for you. Very, very, very few guys could have done what you did. You have an amazing skill set, imagination, and will power, and I can't wait to see what's next.
Thank you! More than a few times But I never doubted that it was doable, even when I didn't have the solutions (yet). That's the key I think; always know there is a way. You might find what you need out there somewhere or you may have to invent it, but it can be done.

I've learned a lot with this build and added to my tool arsenal in the process. Next I get schooled in paint!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #1544
watahyahknow

Quote:
Looking at picking up or building a rotisserie
there a few buildplans for those on the internet there basicly two enginestands build a little wider with bigger wheels and a connectingbar

i had a book with the plans in it a while back it was either metalfabricators handbook or welders handbook from T and A im not sure wish

and then theres this book :

Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #1545
Low Elco

Looks great, and is truly an inspiration for the rest of us to get off our azzes and learn! Paint wise, look at jlsanborn's thread in 67-72 builds. A couple of us are teaching him to paint over the interweb. Great work!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #1546
theastronaut

Quote:

Also in the news... It's getting a full paint job Same colors.
What is this talk of painting it?!?! You'll be too scared of rock chips, scratches, and dings to get it out and beat on it if you paint it!! I thought it looked great like it is, especially since it's the original paint. And, it's only original once (well, the outside atleast at this point). Maybe it's not perfect but that just adds to the sleeper look.

Seriously, I think you'll enjoy it more if you don't have to worry about stuff like that when you take it out for spin. I built a '65 C10 with a full blown show paint job and it was a major pain just keeping it clean, trying to keep towel marks out of it and that kinda stuff. It was a huge relief delivering that one back to the customer just so I didn't have to worry about something happening to it while it was in the shop.

And besides, painting it would take time away that could be spent on the Tahoe build.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #1547
watahyahknow

whell he could paint it in bedliner that would solve the scratch thing

Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #1548
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
there a few buildplans for those on the internet there basicly two enginestands build a little wider with bigger wheels and a connectingbar
[/IMG]
There's a lot more to it if you want something nice to use. I'd build one but it's just a question of time investment vs. $$$

Looking at these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Looks great, and is truly an inspiration for the rest of us to get off our azzes and learn! Paint wise, look at jlsanborn's thread in 67-72 builds. A couple of us are teaching him to paint over the interweb. Great work!
Posted via Mobile Device
Will do. I have a friend who owns a body shop so I will be taking the shell over there to do myself (with help).
Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
What is this talk of painting it?!?! You'll be too scared of rock chips, scratches, and dings to get it out and beat on it if you paint it!! I thought it looked great like it is, especially since it's the original paint. And, it's only original once (well, the outside atleast at this point). Maybe it's not perfect but that just adds to the sleeper look.

Seriously, I think you'll enjoy it more if you don't have to worry about stuff like that when you take it out for spin. I built a '65 C10 with a full blown show paint job and it was a major pain just keeping it clean, trying to keep towel marks out of it and that kinda stuff. It was a huge relief delivering that one back to the customer just so I didn't have to worry about something happening to it while it was in the shop.

And besides, painting it would take time away that could be spent on the Tahoe build.
Don't make it harder for me!

It does look good ...from 20ft. Also, the exterior paint was already resprayed once (not very well; has runs).

As I just mentioned, I have a friend who owns a body shop and he's going to let me use their booth.

Don't worry, it'll be driven hard
Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #1549
Frizzle Fry

Another pic from when it was a driver:

Now back to fabrication! This is the last engineering/fabrication addition to the car. I've been on the fence about doing these braces. In the end, I went with them given all the splicing/grafting that's gone into the build; more stiffening can't hurt! Front bar is removable, rear will be permanent.

Also had to get these in place now to test the engine R/R access.

Gussets:

Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #1550
Pop's C-10

Moving tha rear part up to the top of the firewall would give you more clearance to pull it or remove th valve cover if need be...unless you droping it out the bottom..then you good..lol
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote