The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #51
stepside83

Re: Introducing my Project: '78 K10 on 12" of Lift

wow thats a nice truck i like the blue, the lights you have are awsome on this truck im gonna switch mine head lights over to the hid lights, and was thinking of putting fog lights in to my bumper as well, cant wait to see more hows the inside coming?
stepside83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #52
Anadrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside83 View Post
wow thats a nice truck i like the blue, the lights you have are awsome on this truck im gonna switch mine head lights over to the hid lights, and was thinking of putting fog lights in to my bumper as well, cant wait to see more hows the inside coming?
The inside it clean and solid, but that's about it. I haven't done any updates that aren't in this thread already. I've got a half-ass Kenwood head unit with a Kenwood Excelon shallow/slim 10" sub behind the seat, but no other speaker updates, so I'm still running the dumb old center of the dash truck speaker only.

There is no limit to what will be done to this truck though. Leather seating, new dash, video, rear camera- basically you can expect total interior overhaul in the next year.
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #53
qu1cks1lver56

Why do you have the foglight projectors turned sideways? Why not have the cutoff line straight?

I can't wait to get my HID's in, supposed to be here on the 10th.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #54
Anadrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by qu1cks1lver56 View Post
Why do you have the foglight projectors turned sideways? Why not have the cutoff line straight?

I can't wait to get my HID's in, supposed to be here on the 10th.
We lined the truck up in front of a car, and we decided that if the fogs were aimed straight, the beam would be right in the eyes of oncoming drivers because the truck is up so high. It was so bright that there would be no way I could pass an oncoming police car without him turning around and pulling me over instantly. For the purpose of how the bulbs in the bumper LOOK, the projectors had to be mounted straight, and not tilted down, so our only choice was to rotate them so that the "meat" of the beam wouldn't be shining straight in the eyes of other drivers.

You could avoid this problem if you mounted the projectors inside a larger housing, and then aimed the projectors down, but kept the external housing straight so that it looked right, but I wanted it to look just like it does.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #55
qu1cks1lver56

Oh I gotcha. Looks good though. I like the projectors for reverse lights though. I need to do something like that on mine.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #56
Anadrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by qu1cks1lver56 View Post
Oh I gotcha. Looks good though. I like the projectors for reverse lights though. I need to do something like that on mine.
Those reverse lights will be AWESOME when I get a backup camera. Should really make it easy. Right now, they're only effective when you look out the side mirrors.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #57
Anadrol

Just an update-
Truck is at the shop right now, and we're working on a steering column replacement. Either Flaming River or ididit- one of 'em is going in the truck!

The plan is to take this truck sequentially and do each step as perfectly as we can before we move on. That means throwing gobs of money at seemingly mundane things like a column rather than trying to stretch the funding across everything and sparing expenses along the way. The result will be, I'm about to have a $1,200 chrome column inside a truck with many other interior needs that will be addressed later. It's gonna look kind of weird for a little while- like a marble staircase in a trailer home.

Anyway, the point of this column project is to get more room behind the wheel by moving the steering wheel up closer to the dash. This will require a ton of measuring and calling the manufacturer to strategize. If you have any experience with this, please post. I want to keep a clean, restored look, but I need to shorten the column as much as I possibly can.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #58
Anadrol

Column is finished.
We had this thing custom built by ididit. The build took about 2 months, and it replaced the stock column. I would wager that this increased the space behind the steering wheel by 3 inches or so, which is a huge difference in a small cab like this. Imagine being able to move your seat backwards 3 inches, like if you magically had a power seat and more space behind.

I took these pics with a Blackberry, so they don't do it justice, but this thing is so shiny I need sunglasses, and I'm constantly buffing it with a sunglasses bag to keep the fingerprints off. It also came with little tiny racing keys (GM ignition keys are totally abandoned now). It has a large degree of tilt- I'm guessing maybe 20 extra degrees beyond what my old stock tilt column had.

Yes, we now have a $50 steering wheel on a $2,000 column. This will change soon enough, but it's hard to drop another couple hundred on a decent wheel right after throwing all the cheese at this column upgrade.

Last edited by Anadrol; 06-21-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #59
qu1cks1lver56

Nice column, but what really caught my eye was the window switches on the doors, how about some more on them?
I hate the factory lock/window switches and want to do something different on mine.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #60
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrol View Post
Yes, we now have a $50 steering wheel on a $2,000 column. This will change soon enough, but it's hard to drop another couple hundred on a decent wheel right after throwing all the cheese at this column upgrade.
when you go to sell that steering wheel put me first in line if it's reasonably priced...I don't want to pay for your new column...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #61
Anadrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe View Post
when you go to sell that steering wheel put me first in line if it's reasonably priced...I don't want to pay for your new column...
You got it man. It's a good wheel, but it split in a small spot on like week 2 of ownership, and that pissed me off, (you can barely see it at about 7 o'clock no the wheel) but it's a perfect diameter and looks good.

Those window switches are covered in a different post within this thread i think, but they came with a a power window kit that we bought several months ago. The name escapes me. I had a car stereo shop order them and install them for me, which accounts for why I don't remember the brand.

Anyways, you can begin to see by the dates that there are big gaps in my updates now, and the gap will probably get even bigger now that there's been some coin dropped on this column.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #62
bluechev

Did you have any trouble getting that chrome trim bezel to fit on the door panel?
bluechev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #63
pat386
misshape grape

Geez, $2k for a column..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #64
cochino12
It followed me home?

Did this truck ever get finished?

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #65
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12 View Post
Did this truck ever get finished?
I was just going through the whole thread and wondering the same thing. Got any updates at all on the truck?
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote