The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #26
plummen

Re: 3/4 disc brake swap

long way to go ,but finally making a little progress!
Attached Images

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #27
lmdangerous

I drove my 3800 today . This is the way to go. Had to adjust the proportioning valve just a hair. Seems like the truck actually rides /rolls easier. It also seems quiter. The back is near a bolt on - Lots of people making the kit for this ( TSM ) , blackbird, and others . THe 14 bolt bolt on stuff will also work , but you need to slot the bracket, and ditch the 4th bolt.I also have photos if you send me a email I can send , along with a napa parts list.I can put anyones nose on the window now, and not because I hit the guy in front.
lmdangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #28
mr48chev

Cool, I haven't done anything with my rear brakes on the 71 yet as my alleged daily driver is in need of transmission work and I have to drive the 71 every day to work.
I'm swapping the whole rear end though, swapping in a 3.54 posi along with changing the brakes over to disk and using the Cad rear calipers for the park brake.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #29
1954_3800

Imdangerous,

Thanks for the pictures. Finally got my truck back to the house so let the fun begin I'm thinking about making the front brackets out of one piece of steel cia cnc. If the offset from the backing plate is only 1" (since you used 2 1" plates) it shouldn't be to terrible to do. Also, I saw in a previous post that you were looking for tapered bearings. Did you ever have in luck on that front? Thank you again.
1954_3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #30
philapino18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmdangerous View Post
EUREKA!!!! I have finished it.I even can send a photo album to the editor to post (Hint hint - I cant figure out how to attach them here).
The rotor will actually slide on with no machine work- here is the deal -please don't get shoot me - the rotor that works comes from a FORD E250-350 99-07 van. You will need to make stud spacers ( the factory stud is 1/2 and the rotor holes are 11/16- the studs for the ford actually measured a little over 9/16 .)( machine threaded spacers for each stud or - just drill your hub and install the ford studs( your call) . You could machine a spacer ring for the center of the hub, but I think the spacers( for the studs) will be easier- A and A and Strange offer spacers for that very thing.I can also machine them if I have two - I used the stock lug nuts( tightened ) to center and locate them and it was perfect and true.
The NAPA number on that rotor is 4886799 ( 70$ each ).
The caliper is the standard 85 4whl drive , 3/4 ton front caliper, and pads. All stock stuff no problems -you will be able to use the standard front lines for that truck also.
The bracket set me back 2 weeks of labor / and vacation. It had to be done in a two piece form. I could not come up with a one piece due to the fact that the caliper needed to be spaced to the rotor etc. ( i didnt want a stack of spacers ) - only had to use a 3/8 spacer .
The cross steering rod will have to be narrowed up about 3/4 in, due 2 the thickness of the brackets . Mine will be able to adujust and not be cut -I have about 3/4 of an inch of threads on each end of the tie rod ends.
I have a photo album, but DK what to do to get it here - I have not run the lines or mounted my new master cylinder , but this was the hardest part. The disc brakes for the rearend is literally a bolt on (99$) kit form Virginia 4X4.Uses all 3/4- 4whdrive chevy front calipers , rotors, and lines. I am getting there -
Would be glad to send my photos to the editor , or any one if you get me a email address.
Help me here guys I am close to finishing this , and a lot of you like me like the stock look of the I beam front axle - with brakes that really work!
LMD
Has anyone tried to use mid 80's Dodge 3/4 ton rotors?
philapino18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #31
Trekster

This is what I did to put front disc brakes on my 1950 1 ton. This truck runs a dual rim on the front but it should work. I removed the drum and all the brake parts from the hub and used a disc and caliper from a 1978 Chevy 4x4. I bolted the disc on the inside of the hub and made some brackets to hold the caliper.
Trekster is offline   Reply With Quote