The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
cleanshaven84

For the bagged folks, what controls arms on S10 frame.

What kind of arms are ya'll running for those of you using the S10 frame? I was wanting to use my stock ones but heard you may have to "step" them to get them to work. When I had my Ranger I had DJM arms and they worked nicely with the bag setup but remember them being expensive. What have ya'll done to bag the front? Pics would be great!

Currently working on S-10 chassis swap.

Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
cleanshaven84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
JTRACEY

Re: For the bagged folks, what controls arms on S10 frame.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=561939

Here is a link to a some pics of my build to show what I used... Im just running some dirt track style upper arms... I mainly needed them to clear my header rather than to keep the BJ from binding...

If you get some power performance ball joints from suicide doors, you dont need to pie cut your upers...

You dont need tubular lowers if you did what I did to my stock lower arms... Im also running 2in drop spindles...

I like the 4 link you bought. Did you pick it up from Suicide Doors?

Edit: for some reason it wont let me post the link to the ball joints at thorbeck bros
JTRACEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
52chevy

Do exactly JTRACEY said and you'll have no problem laying frame. I did exactly what he did in my 91 when I bagged it. It's a matter of dehumping the lowers and maybe trimming the frame. Tubular a aren't needed at all but do indeed look better.
Posted via Mobile Device
52chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
98layinframe

I was able to get my s10 to layout on 26" tall tires with stock spindles by running SD tubular upper arms, and modifying the lower arms and trimming the frame a little.... which is a little extreme for you guys doing the frame swap since you dont need the amount of travel I needed on my first gen to untuck the wheels to turn.

Anyways.. point is. If you simply run stock upper and lower arms with drop spindles and dont cut anything.. you can lay frame with a 23.5-24" tall tire. Same components but now you trim out the frame lip for the bags and dehump the rear hump on the arm... you can now lay 25-26" tall tires. Cut both humps off plate them flat and clearance the frame on the back side a little and your now laying 27-28" tall tires.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
stodd16

this guy knows what hes talkin about with sd uppers. the dirt track arms will work but really not made for street use. If you want you can always run stock uppers and mogg ball joints or pie cut the upper arm and it will lay 20s all day everyday.
stodd16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
cleanshaven84

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm thinking of going JTRACEY's route too with tubular uppers and dehumping the lowers. I have heard of pie cutting the uppers but haven't seen it done. Anyone have any pics of this? Thanks again.

Currently working on S-10 chassis swap.

Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
cleanshaven84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Chris.

Take it from the bagged s10 guys myself included, if your just going to do uppers go with

http://michiganmetalworks.com/store/...ory&path=60_65

This stuff is super nice and I know a few people who have stuff from him and love it

Qualityairride. .com

These are well known and I bet 85 percent of bagged s10s with custom arms use these
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Chris.; 02-07-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #8
JTRACEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanshaven84 View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm thinking of going JTRACEY's route too with tubular uppers and dehumping the lowers. I have heard of pie cutting the uppers but haven't seen it done. Anyone have any pics of this? Thanks again.
Depending on what sized tires you are running, you might not need to do anything to your upper arms. Like I said before, you can most likely get a pair of power performance super travel upper ball joints, and it will do wonders...

Here is a link to pie cutting your upper arms. http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f125/p...l-arms-393969/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
Take it from the bagged s10 guys myself included, if your just going to do uppers go with

http://michiganmetalworks.com/store/...ory&path=60_65

This stuff is super nice and I know a few people who have stuff from him and love it

Qualityairride. .com

These are well known and I bet 85 percent of bagged s10s with custom arms use these
Posted via Mobile Device

The MMW arms are pretty damn neat looking, I just dont like that the bushings are not greasable...
JTRACEY is offline   Reply With Quote