The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2015, 12:36 AM   #26
leddzepp

Re: What's the farthest you have traveled for a truck part?

Drove from SoCal to St. George Utah for my SWB roller several years ago. 6 hours one way, did a turn around trip. Even with gas and my time, it was well worth it saving me a lot of headaches and costing me less than having my LWB frame cut down.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:41 AM   #27
javelinmania

Back in April, I drove from Columbia, SC into Northern Virginia and made two pick ups, then drove to St. Louis and made one pick up and dropped off one item and then went further into Missouri to do another pick up and then on to Nashville, TN for my last pickup and then on to home. 4 days on the road. Over 2,0000 miles (I think it was close to 2,500). Driving an F250, I averaged only 10 MPG ( I started out at 13 MPG but as I got bored my mileage dropped as my speeds increased). So a total of 5 pickups and one delivery.
javelinmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:01 AM   #28
Spartan

I don't drive long distances anymore. However back when I was 29 or 30 I rode my bike (bicycle not motor cycle) from south Lake Tahoe to havre Montana. On the way there outside of Missoula I saw a jeep. 1969 gladiator (j4500). I had to have it and luckily the old guy was willing to sell because I really didn't want to ride home to San Francisco where I was living at the time. Never saw a tumble weed in person before but a small town in Nevada one was actually rolling down the middle of Main Street. South of Elko. Cool adventure. Still have the jeep. Actually sold it to my brother for a 77 formula 400. Don't have the formula but pass the jeep in the barn every weekend on my way to the kabota shed. Good memories that trip.

"orange rhymes with door hinge"

Last edited by Spartan; 06-23-2015 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Claification
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

What part of WV are you in? What is this cowling you re buying, the plenum cut from a cab or just the cover? I guess you want to take a trip, because shipping, no matter what it costs, would surely be cheaper...and save wear & tear/miles off your vehicle for such a thing.

That said, I'm remembering a time I bought a radio delete from jc in NJ. I had also bought a set of 37/12.50-16.5 Super Swampers from VT Blazer in VT and a SWB '71 K/10 from 6T727T2 in NJ. A fellow member (Paul Romero) from about an hour away in PA had bought a full set of Suburban seats, including buddy buckets, from jc in NJ, too. Oh, and I had bought a louvered 67/68 hood from a member in NH, too. I got all that stuff and never left home. VT Blazer hooked up his trailer with the Swampers loaded in the bed, stopped in NH to pick up my hood, then to NJ for the truck and seats, loaded the seats in the bed of the truck on the trailer, and came on down. And, jc ran down in his cherry survivor '72(?) with the cowl cover. I posted about it here ('06?) and Panhandler came over from WVA. We had a cook-out at my place with all 5 members, including jc's daughter Cheyenne, then went to Jimmy Cone for the cruise-in. It was the best board meet-up I have ever been to (or had come to me) and it was just thrown together spontaneously. And talk about some prime parts!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #30
special-K
Special Order

There was a great deal on a hole slew of parts I turned my buddy on to who lives NE of me up in central PA and the parts were NW of me in Western MD. He did pretty good for $500. I'd say it was worth the trip :

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #31
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
There was a great deal on a hole slew of parts I turned my buddy on to who lives NE of me up in central PA and the parts were NW of me in Western MD. He did pretty good for $500. I'd say it was worth the trip :

I think he payed a little too much great score there
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #32
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What part of WV are you in? What is this cowling you re buying, the plenum cut from a cab or just the cover? I guess you want to take a trip, because shipping, no matter what it costs, would surely be cheaper...and save wear & tear/miles off your vehicle for such a thing.

That said, I'm remembering a time I bought a radio delete from jc in NJ. I had also bought a set of 37/12.50-16.5 Super Swampers from VT Blazer in VT and a SWB '71 K/10 from 6T727T2 in NJ. A fellow member (Paul Romero) from about an hour away in PA had bought a full set of Suburban seats, including buddy buckets, from jc in NJ, too. Oh, and I had bought a louvered 67/68 hood from a member in NH, too. I got all that stuff and never left home. VT Blazer hooked up his trailer with the Swampers loaded in the bed, stopped in NH to pick up my hood, then to NJ for the truck and seats, loaded the seats in the bed of the truck on the trailer, and came on down. And, jc ran down in his cherry survivor '72(?) with the cowl cover. I posted about it here ('06?) and Panhandler came over from WVA. We had a cook-out at my place with all 5 members, including jc's daughter Cheyenne, then went to Jimmy Cone for the cruise-in. It was the best board meet-up I have ever been to (or had come to me) and it was just thrown together spontaneously. And talk about some prime parts!
I am in southern WV. This is that vented cowl that goes between the windshield and hood.

Mine is rusted out in one place and since I have all that off and am going back with new parts, I might as well replace that too. The fellow in GA doesn't want to ship and I would demand it came in a wooden crate anyway.....so I'll just go down there.

Someone offered me one and he's a lot closer but I don't want to leave the other guy hanging. I haven't gotten the GA guy's phone number yet nor address.....I need to get those before I can go down.

My Honda gets good as mileage and I'm not bothered by long drives. Yes, the fuel is costly.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #33
special-K
Special Order

I always go through with a deal no matter what. I stick like glue to the "say what I do and do what I say" creedo. But I would never let someone make me feel forced to drive a long trip that costs and takes more effort for me just to save what little effort it takes to ship because it's inconvenient for them. And now he is hanging you up on the info you need to stick to your commitment? I totally understand the desire for a road trip, just to get out of Dodge and for the experience. That's what life is all about. I don't really need this cab in Alabama I have committed to, but I'm up for the adventure. My buddy asked "what do you need that for?", and he knows I already have a spare cab here (that I drove to SW VA for 10 years ago!). Hey, you need a cab to build a truck. You can come up with anything else new or at swap meets. I'm not done building trucks yet, so I like knowing I have the cabs.
If you don't mind driving you should roll up to Carlisle Trucks in a little over a month and buy whatever you can fit in your car . I can find the cowl cover in junkyards around here for way cheap. Look in the back of the black truck I showed. There are 6 right there. They are usually one part that's good on a truck, even in rust country
Enjoy the trip. That's the main thing

Tim

Old 06-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #34
In The Ten Ring

Special K,

I was thinking today that I have asked twice for his address and phone number, something he should have PM'ed me as soon as I posted that I would come and get it.

Something may be up so if Panel Deland still has his, I'll just go over and get it.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #35
HeavyD

I went about 1000 miles to get some buckets from TooMuchStuff in MN, and 1500 or so to Vegas many times for cars. Auto related trips are the best
Old 06-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #36
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Special K,

I was thinking today that I have asked twice for his address and phone number, something he should have PM'ed me as soon as I posted that I would come and get it.

Something may be up so if Panel Deland still has his, I'll just go over and get it.
I'm a square dealer, but all deals work both ways. Use your judgement, it's your call. I don't know how much time has passed, but it gives me the impression the seller isn't too worried about it. It shouldn't be that much of a loss anyway. What, like $25-35?

Tim

Old 06-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #37
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Not far.. 40 some miles.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #38
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETsC10 View Post
Not far.. 40 some miles.

I go that far for ice cream

Tim