The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #26
Ruscal

Re: aluminum radiator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
I have 2 temperature probes, one that is threaded and one that is inserted into the radiator fins. I want to run the temperature probe for the fan relay in the radiator and not the intake or heads. My threaded port on my radiator is 1/8 and my threaded port is 3/8. I bought an adapter to fit the 3/8 probe into the 1/8 port, but am concerned about it getting an accurate reading with the adapter on it. Anyone else ram an adapter like this?
I am using a Derale radiator probe that has been adapted to 3/8npt. I put transistor heat sink compound on the sender/probe joint, and lightly tightened it down. (8-32 brass threads) Go easy!
Derale tech said to put the sender on the bottom radiator outlet. (coolest point)
They also said the radiator probe sometimes does not work well with aluminum radiator cores with large tubes. I decided to go with a wet sender to avoid those problems. I purchased an inline radiator hose sender adaptor. It is aluminum with 1 1/2" double barb and 1/8" NPT hole and a grounding screw terminal.
I am using the Derale PWM fan controller which has an adjustable turn on temperature set point. Right now I am fiddling with the settings to see how it reacts. It comes on at 195F, fans start slowly and ramp up to any speed to bring the temp down. Mine, as the settings are now will bring the temp to 175F at the lower radiator outlet and hold it there. The fans seem to only need to run at slower speeds to maintain that temp. They are very quiet. as they only speed up as necessary. My truck has a 180 T'stat.
The truck is still in the build stage, so no desert tests yet.
Russ

Last edited by Ruscal; 10-13-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #27
Kaptain Kadian

Where did you get the inline radiator hose sender adapter?
Kaptain Kadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #28
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Summit racing has a wide selection of diameters and fittings for almost any temp sensor size.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #29
hamjet

I put mine here, it works fine..
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #30
Ruscal

Quote:
I found one on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/381393834879

It had a 1/8 NPT sender hole and I needed a 3/8 NPT, so I had to drill and tap it. The manufacturer crowded the ground lug hole too close to the sender hole. I had to offset the new bore for the 3/8 tap to increase the space. Luckily I have a Bridgeport which made it easy. Most manufacturers of these parts anodize them for corrosion resistance and cosmetics, but it adds resistance to electrical circuits. Re-cutting my threads eliminated that problem. Both sender and ground thread were re-tapped.
Russ
Old 10-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #31
Kaptain Kadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruscal View Post
I found one on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/381393834879

It had a 1/8 NPT sender hole and I needed a 3/8 NPT, so I had to drill and tap it. The manufacturer crowded the ground lug hole too close to the sender hole. I had to offset the new bore for the 3/8 tap to increase the space. Luckily I have a Bridgeport which made it easy. Most manufacturers of these parts anodize them for corrosion resistance and cosmetics, but it adds resistance to electrical circuits. Re-cutting my threads eliminated that problem. Both sender and ground thread were re-tapped.
Russ
Where did you install the inline adapter?
Old 10-18-2015, 02:55 AM   #32
'68 Newtricks

Coolant flows from the bottom to the top. The T-stat holds the water in the engine so it can pick up as much heat from it, regulating how fast/slow the coolant flows. It is also the second hottest position you can put a sensor. (first being the head) It is an accurate spot. The fans will come on to cool the incoming coolant, since the temperature of the coolant already in the radiator isn't cutting it. It's just more precise reading. Plus, if it's stupid cold outside or you have snow/rain coming though to hit the sensor in the radiator, well that will affect cooling.

Pick a good temp for the sensor and put it in the engine, your choice of where. My 400sb runs warm, so I'm 205 on/185 off in the summer. My fans can't cool it any more than 185. In the winter it's 200/180. My FAST system allows adjustment.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #33
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 Newtricks View Post
Coolant flows from the bottom to the top. The T-stat holds the water in the engine so it can pick up as much heat from it, regulating how fast/slow the coolant flows. It is also the second hottest position you can put a sensor. (first being the head) It is an accurate spot. The fans will come on to cool the incoming coolant, since the temperature of the coolant already in the radiator isn't cutting it. It's just more precise reading. Plus, if it's stupid cold outside or you have snow/rain coming though to hit the sensor in the radiator, well that will affect cooling.

Pick a good temp for the sensor and put it in the engine, your choice of where. My 400sb runs warm, so I'm 205 on/185 off in the summer. My fans can't cool it any more than 185. In the winter it's 200/180. My FAST system allows adjustment.
You goto that backwards my friend. The thermostat controls how much hot coolant goes to the radiator and then flows top down. Heat rises remember.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #34
'68 Newtricks

saying the same thing
I'm talking about the flow in the engine
Old 10-19-2015, 01:20 AM   #35
Ruscal

Quote:
Where did you install the inline adapter?
I cut the bottom radiator hose about 5" from the radiator. Derale tech said that is where it should be for their PWM setup. The PWM is adjustable, so you can set the temp where you want. It is different than using a fixed sender that turns on at only one temp and the fans turn full speed always.
Russ
Old 10-19-2015, 07:01 AM   #36
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
You goto that backwards my friend. The thermostat controls how much hot coolant goes to the radiator and then flows top down. Heat rises remember.
My bad I was really tired when I read that and responded.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #37
Kaptain Kadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruscal View Post
I cut the bottom radiator hose about 5" from the radiator. Derale tech said that is where it should be for their PWM setup. The PWM is adjustable, so you can set the temp where you want. It is different than using a fixed sender that turns on at only one temp and the fans turn full speed always.
Russ
Thanks for the help. I got one on order, should be here by the end of the week. Did you have to drain your radiator to install it?