The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #26
rod86
great southern land

Re: Vinyl Cedar Shingle Siding

wow... houses are built soo differently over here... dou you make brick houses or they all just plywood and plastic?

86 chevy c10 silverado
rod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Brick,Stone,Wood,Cement Fiber,Stucco,Steel,Aluminum,about anything on the exterior.Sheathing is usaully OSB (chip board),Plywood,or styrofoam.There are panel systems are 6" foam with plywood bonded.Another extreme weather system uses foam blocks for all the exterior walls filled with concrete.The floors get framed within.
This home was built before plywood and the sheathing is 1x boards,then a layer of rosin paper,and cedar shingles for siding.They lasted since the`20s but the homeowner didn`t want to paint anymore.Most want maintainence-free(myth),so products like vinyl are very popular.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #28
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod86 View Post
wow... houses are built soo differently over here... dou you make brick houses or they all just plywood and plastic?
Very different. Your houses would not pass our building codes. My little brother and his wife are having a house built outside of Adelade, and they are requiring the builder to upgrade alot of things. Their builder thinks they are nuts. Crazy Yanks!
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #29
rod86
great southern land

yea, im guessing its because of the weather over there is more extreme than here, our houses never see tornados or snow...

86 chevy c10 silverado
Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Everyone has lawnmowers here.So,the grass isn`t long enough for thatched huts.
And we only use metal roofing for....roofs....on barns.
Just messing with ya maite!

What are common materials there?It seems when a man-made replacement comes out it serves to make the real thing a premium product rather than a cheaper way to build.I believe Australia can be compared pretty well to California for climatic demands on housing.The farther east the more moisture.It`s lush and green in the east,which means nature is constantly trying to reclaim itself...think rot.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #31
rod86
great southern land

haha. yeah its is quite warm and dry here, and when it rains it dosnt stay wet for long, alot of older places here are all timber built houses with wooden board or fiberboard walls with corrugated iron roofing, and just about every house from the 80`s onwards is built from bricks, with brick inner walls, wooden or steel roof frames with clay or concrete tiles...

and we do have lawnmowers here too.. theyre called sheep and goats...

86 chevy c10 silverado
Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #32
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod86 View Post
and we do have lawnmowers here too.. theyre called sheep and goats...
Lawmowers... rrrright.. Oops! I was thinking of New Zealand. Sorry
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:53 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Does brick keep the wombats out?
Were log cabins ever built by settlers in the early days?Our old cities and towns are primarily brick.Rural construction was log or stone until saw mills were established.with the abundance of timber many homes were constructed of log,then covered with lap siding on the exterior and plaster on the interior,over strips and lathe.Mine`s log with siding.I exposed the log on the interior.The first addition was timber-frame(still hand hewn),second was sawmill lumber stud framimg,latest (my work) is kiln dried & planed nominal lumber.
Plastic and resin is taking over!!!!maybe someday we`ll walk through the composite grove holding our lover`s(not lawnmower`s)hand.

Let me get this straight...if I go to Australia everyone will say G`day Mate,drive Subarus(you make those,right?) with kangaroo damage,eat off the barby,drink beer by the litre anywhere I want,I`ll see great white sharks at the beach where the whole nation surfs,Aboriginese walking about all over the place blowing those things I forget the name of,look up into a Eucalyptus tree and see a koala bear,and if I look in one direction I`ll see Sidney Harbour with the amphitheatre and Ayre`s Rock in the other,right?
Oh,and everyone lives in brick houses with iron roofs.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-12-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #34
rod86
great southern land

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Does brick keep the wombats out?
Were log cabins ever built by settlers in the early days?Our old cities and towns are primarily brick.Rural construction was log or stone until saw mills were established.with the abundance of timber many homes were constructed of log,then covered with lap siding on the exterior and plaster on the interior,over strips and lathe.Mine`s log with siding.I exposed the log on the interior.The first addition was timber-frame(still hand hewn),second was sawmill lumber stud framimg,latest (my work) is kiln dried & planed nominal lumber.
Plastic and resin is taking over!!!!maybe someday we`ll walk through the composite grove holding our lover`s(not lawnmower`s)hand.

Let me get this straight...if I go to Australia everyone will say G`day Mate,drive Subarus(you make those,right?) with kangaroo damage,eat off the barby,drink beer by the litre anywhere I want,I`ll see great white sharks at the beach where the whole nation surfs,Aboriginese walking about all over the place blowing those things I forget the name of,look up into a Eucalyptus tree and see a koala bear,and if I look in one direction I`ll see Sidney Harbour with the amphitheatre and Ayre`s Rock in the other,right?
Oh,and everyone lives in brick houses with iron roofs.
tim... u crack me up.. no , there is nothing that will keep a wombat out.. they are very dangerous, they have been known to flip cars on their roofs and run straight though brick walls...

log cabins not so much, the earlyest houses were stone and mortar with wooden plank on frame roofs, then alot of houses were built completely of plank on frame, with tin roofs and plaster inner walls.

and if you come to australia it will be more like this...: everyone will say g,day or howzit goin mate, everyone will drive holden or ford utes covered in red dust, you most likley will eat kangaroo steaks off the barbie, and drink as much of any beer you want exept fosters, you will see people surfing and people getting eaten by great white sharks, you wont see aboridginals playing didgeridoo`s but you will see them drunk and fighting each other or passed out in the parks or on the road, if you look up into a eucalyptus tree your more likely to be hit by a drop-bear, but koalas do exist.... and if your in sydney you wont see ayres rock, and if your at ayres rock you wont see sydney but you mite get abducted by aliens... and yes houses do have iron roofs... hehee

and subarus are made in japan..

86 chevy c10 silverado
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #35
Jvsapp

im wondering if i can come out there to get some parts for my morris minor traveler
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #36
special-K
Special Order

Rod,we could have a blast.That`s fer sher.I`ve had kangaroo years ago at McDonalds,but not off the baahby.

Hey jvsapp,sooo coool.I love those little runts! We never had them back east that I can recall,but saw plenty out there and in the Bahamas.The guy at my local Napa has a restored one with Mini-lites or replicas.

Tim

Old 04-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #37
Jvsapp

yep little runt is right. and at 1800lbs it'll be a fast little runt with a SBC in it i saw a mini moke out here recently. now that's small. my morris i sat behind the wheel once and stuck my hand out the passenger window. pretty small.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #38
rod86
great southern land

hehe yea i rekon, tiny cars with big power are fun to drive...

86 chevy c10 silverado
Old 04-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

SBC???Where,mid-engine?That thing would handle like it was on rails.
Mimni-Mokes...only seen them in the Bahamas.The guy I scuba dived with ran around in one.

Tim

Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #40
rod86
great southern land

ooh yea... rails all rite.... wicked fun... there are quite a few mokes here, a guy i went to tafe with had one, we put it in some strage spots.... was soo funny..

86 chevy c10 silverado
Old 04-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #41
Jvsapp

well i'm tossed between a fatman frame or a art morrison frame. the fatman would be more a prostreet setup. art morrison with their triangulated rear links would be more a corner carver. i think price wise they'll be about the same. i know fatman makes the complete frame already. art morrison will be more a custom order one.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #42
special-K
Special Order

That would be a hard choice.Although,in the long run,I think you`d be happiest with the Art Morrison.The Fat Man built pro street would be a freak,but would grow old sooner.

Tim

Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #43
Jvsapp

i agree on that. i still have to look into the art morrison chassis. but then again a morris minor would be best with an art morris(on) right only makes sense names are the same. i know the fatman kit is turn key $7K comes with rear end housing and axles and mustang II front suspension. just bolt in center section, driveline and plumb the brakes and it's a done deal.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #44
special-K
Special Order

That does have a certain appeal.less time to let`er rip!

Tim

Old 04-30-2009, 02:20 AM   #45
sleepertruck72

Special-K
Excellent work for a one man army ! Very impressive. Most guys would of hired 4-6 Carpenters to blow and go that job. That home looks great