The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #51
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Re: '67 Chevy II Build - Betty.

Haha, exactley. The HotRods to Hell setup is just like whats under 67-72 chevy pickups, with the exception of being more thought out for the cars they're to be installed in. Oh, and alot more expensive. I figure this way, IF it works (big if...), I'll have a smooth riding suspension, no wheel hop when I hammer the throttle on that six, and just all around good performance.

And he mentioned that the front clip had the rad support removed, since he was going to use it, but went another direction, so it's included as well.

I'll post some pics of a guy on Steves Nova Site that is doing the Poor Man's Truck Arm Suspension, using a '70 C10 for the arms and crossmembers, and the stock frame rails.

This is when things get really interesting...haha.

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #52
bobjob

Is that what a car from Wisconsin normally look like????
I guess i must just be spoiled!!
raised in southern California,and now in Arizona, been building cars and custom bikes since i was 10,, anything with 1/2 that much rust probably went to china to become "the biggest dam in the world"
cal gets around 6" -8"of rain per year
Arizona gets around 4"-5" per year .....most of our cars are "rust free"....I am sooo spoiled!!
I have a great respect for you guys that have to put up with so much to try to keep up your rides !!!!!
bobjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #53
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Well, I'm sure not ALL cars from Wisconsin are like that, just most of them that I've seen and worked on.

Hell, I thought I was doing pretty good, since only the bottom of the quarters and the pans were rusted out...along with a few other areas.

And it's not so much the rain, but rather the salt on the roads in the winter. I guess we have to remember that these were just everyday cars back then, and were driven. Hopefully it becomes a driver again. At any rate, it's better than it just sitting there, rotting away...

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 06-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #54
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Well all, not much of an update. Been busy getting ready for my cousin's wedding and other stuff.

But yeah, I've been working on the truck suspension. Got the frame cut, hauled up to the garage, trailing arms off, and about to get the crossmembers out.

I've been stitching the trailing arms together - you know how they get, with rust accumulating between the C-channels. So, almost got all of that taken care of, then it's time to sand blast and throw some paint on 'em.

and I almost forgot pics of the suspension i'm basing it off of:

It all seems fairly simple, and since I don't really have a floor to get in the way anyway...what the hell. haha.

If it works, it'll be great. I love trailing arms. If it doesn't, I'm not really out anything, except for the time and a little bit of welding. The added weight will be made up for in the smoothness of the ride and the traction, in my opinion. So, yeah.

Now just to decide between a 292 or a 250...but that'll be a while. First I gotta get this thing solid.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 06-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #55
Jvsapp

damn sam that's awesome. i don't think it's added weight. maybe a little. but it'll be well worth it. can't wait till you get your car on a rotisserie too like that one. keep us posted.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #56
Frizzle Fry

Very nice!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #57
BuiltByBrooks
Argon User

lookin good!
BuiltByBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #58
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Thanks for the compliments guys - I can only hope mine turns out as good as the one in the pics posted.

No real updates as of yet - still getting everything gathered up and patched, getting crossmembers out, and just in general getting everything ready to slap in. Once that's complete, I don't think it'll take all that much to do.

So, yeah. I'll definitely keep you all posted, though it may be a while. I hope not, but, it might be. hah.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 08-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #59
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Well, finally time for an update. It's been over 2 months, and I have little to show for it.

However, the subframe connectors are in, just have to finish welding them, and the trailing arms are about ready to go in as a unit as soon as I pick up some bolts and U-bolts.

I also made a venture to Iowa, where I picked up a complete front clip subframe. New brake shoes, lines, wheel cylinders..all painted..no rust...gorgeous. The guy, Bob Morgan, gave it to me. He's a stand up guy with a bad ass 66 SS. I'll be sure to post pics of the front clip and his car - it blew my mind.

So, now the real work begins. Taking all of these pieces, putting them together, and hoping everything is square and turns out right.

I'll be sure to update more - with summer over, school starting, I'll have more time. Sounds counter productive, but farming is slowing, so, more free time for me. haha.

Until next time..

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 08-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #60
Jvsapp

hey sam, sounds like you got a good plan there. is it a stock front? or aftermarket? i scored a set of disc brakes for mine, and a 10 bolt 3:42 posi rearend. i also got my classic industries catalog friday for chevy truck. in it i saw a set of tubular rear arms that will fit that cross member you have. i thought that would be sick. i'll see if i can find a link to it. i think CCP makes them.

also i'll be updating my pics too if i get some time today.... i've been busy too.

keep us posted.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #61
samwise68
FarmBoy.

It's just a stock front clip, which has it's limitations, but it's better than what I was working with, haha. Still drums, but, I figure my truck stops with drums on all 4 corners, whats to saying this light of car won't either?

Got some work done lately. Finishing up the sub frame connectors, and got my crossmember for the trailing arms cut down. Now to start sand blasting and get some paint slapped on some of these suspension components, I'm thinking.

And I've seen those tubular arms man, they'd be sweet. However, expensive if I remember right. Maybe someday...

And as promised, pics!

Quote:
Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #62
samwise68
FarmBoy.

And there we go.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2009, 11:58 PM   #63
dammitmitchell
the pollock

hey looks like you have been enjoying come inspiration fuel..
this car is going to be one sexy girl when done!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:53 AM   #64
Jvsapp

damn sam. that looks like it was a fender exit header setup on the stock front. also limiting straps musta been the strip setup before he got really serious. good score though. with extended studs and all.

BTW with the tubular arms... i just noticed that they are on this page's advertisements(saw it on the top of the reply link here)
6072TTA 1960-72 - tubular trailing arms, pair $599.00
Old 08-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #65
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Yup, the guy who owned it before Bob, the guy I got it from, had a 14:1 big block with like 950 hp bolted into the 67 SS pictured above. Apparently he pulled the wheels. Alot. haha.

Then Bob got a hold of it, and cleaned it up to what it is today.

And thats not too incredibly bad for the arms, all things considered. Too bad I just finished plating and beading my up...hah. If I ever do it again, I'll be new parts throughout. :P.

And the pics of the front clip are what Bob sent me before I went down there. My choice of inspiration fuel is much more local...if you will...

Yeahhh...haha.

Time to get back to the garage, I'll have more updates later.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #66
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Alright, finally got ambitious and decided to upload the pics I've been taking. The progress is minimal, but it's progress nonetheless. I was also hesitant to post progress pics, since I'm thinking about doing a write up about the truck arm suspension for a magazine in an effort to advance my writing career. But what the hell.

Just a warning though - I'm by no means a professional, and I'm using what I have on hand, or what I can obtain from friends and family for little or nothing. In that regard, it's kind of an old school take on a not-so old school car, if you will. So, here goes..

Subframe connectors.

Installed.

In hindsight, I should've stepped the material size fromthe front subframe to the back, since it fit tight inside the rear frame rails, but I had to fill in the front subframe rails with more iron. Not too big of an issue, and since this is by no means a show car, I'm ok with it. Just an afterthought though.

Everything I should need...

Axle mounts from the 12 bolt in the C10, to be welded onto the 10 bolt outta the II, as soon as pinion angle is determined, etc.

Also have been considering a paint scheme. How do you folk feel about two-tone? I'm a sucker for it, and since the only real body line break on this car is either the fender bulge, or the roof, I'm thinking a red with white roof, similar to this car. Opinions?

The red will probably end up being along the lines of Farmall or IH Red, simply because I like the color, I'm passionate about the brand, and I've had good experience with tractor paint in the past with my truck. It's cheap, seems to be fairly durable, and I just like it. Adds to the whole, use whatcha got farm rod, etc etc...

I also cut down the cross member for the trailing arms, and am about to fit it to the subframe connectors. I also undercoated the trailing arms themselves, since I had a few cans left over from doing my truck. I figured it'd seal them up pretty good, so yeah. Not the best, but it should work. And if it doesn't, I was out nothing, since I already had it.

So, I'm gonna head back out, and see if I can't get some more done, and possibly take some more pics.

Until then...

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 08-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #67
Frizzle Fry

Love red with a white top!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #68
samwise68
FarmBoy.

I'll take that vote! haha. Thanks.

Well, got the cross member all mocked up. It fits in these pretty good, so I'm happy about that. Definitely going to need custom floor pans, which is just a fancy way of saying I'll be using sheet metal and ribbing it for the floors.

No pics though, it's time to head out for bowling night. So I'll take some tomorrow, with whatever other progress I happen to make.

Things are just ticking along now, I have a feeling it won't be long...

...Ok, so it might be quite some time, but atleast things are gettin' done!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #69
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Got a little bit more done today, but the batteries are dead in the camera. So, alas. No pics.

However, did some more welding on the subframe connectors, which have now become my frame rails for the crossmember. And since the arc welder's cables reach to the car in the garage, I out some more bead on it just to try and make it a bit stronger.

I also set it down on jack stands all the way around, and after some finagling, it sits pretty level at all four corners. You have no idea how excited I was when that happened, haha. Unless my measurements were off, it means my subframe connectors went in straight, and the car should be fairly straight and not cockeyed.

I'm hoping atleast.

And thats about it. Gonna try to get some more done this weekend, but I make no promises.

Until then...

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #70
dammitmitchell
the pollock

magenta, ordeep red with metal flake, or red metal flake with a dark undercoat
that would look incredible!

http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedsha...es_shimrin.jsp

specific color im thinking of
Graphic Kolor: SG106 - Maltise Maroon

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #71
Jvsapp

coming along nicely sam.. funny that you are going red and white. my bro's wagon is that route too. here's a pic of the red when we painted the engine bay.

we are also going to break the colors right at the roof line, then again maybe just the roof itself white with the pillars red(actually strawberry).

also here's another way i saw a two tone broken, at the hip line that travels down the car. we considered it, but will go more the route you have planned.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #72
samwise68
FarmBoy.

I like the hip break (I've never heard it called that before, but love the term!) but I think for this one, I'm going to go with the roof and pillar color break. It'll match my truck a bit, and add to the car's overall feel...I hope.

And that is a delicious color. I may have to consider it...which is saying alot, because I'm a cheapass! haha.

It's been a long weekend full of empty cans and bottles, and no work has been done on the car. Let's see if I can't get a little bit done, eh?

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #73
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

You ain't been to Walmart yet and got them batteries for the camera yet? We are waiting.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #74
samwise68
FarmBoy.

OK..ok...sheesh Bill...

Trailing arms under coated. Note the plating and overall ugliness, but they're solid. Musta added 5 pounds in plating and welding rods. :P

And the crossmember. Took the truck crossmember, and cut it in half horizontally. Then on 2 pieces of rectangle tubing, I welding to chunks of angle on each piece, to give it a flush mounting surface for the trailing arms.

The tubing is just tacked on and clamped onto the frame rails, but it seems pretty centered at the moment. I'll have to do some more detailed measurements, to assure that the trailing arms aren't going to end up all cockeyed. But, to fix that it's just grind a few tacks, and bump it over an 1/8th of an inch or so.

So, thats where it stands picture wise.

Tomorrow, I think I'm going to sandblast a little bit inside the car, to clean up some rust and see what I have to work with for these odd little braces that are even with the back passenger windows.

They're pretty rusted, but seem simple enough, so I figure if I can clean 'em up, then go about fabricating replacements and fixing the old or making new ones. Then I should really get the inner rockers taken care of, so that I can plant some outriggers from the frame rails to them and stiffen the chassis/body up even more.

And as soon as I can get some bolts and U-bolts for the rear end and trailing arms, I can slide that baby under there for a mock up. And..after that, the hard part is done. It's just sheet metal and rust repair, until I get to the mechanicals. Haha.

Oh, and just to remind everyone, this is what Farmall/IH Red looks like..

So, I'll see if I can't get some more stuff done tomorrow. Until then...

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 08-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #75
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Well, time for a mid day update before I grab a bite to eat, and head back out and try to accomplish some more.

Essentially, sandblasting just isn't doing what I want it to do. Instead, it's just making a big mess. So, I'll save the blaster for smaller pieces that I can do outside to prep for paint.

Now it's time for the grinder and some sheet metal. The braces I mentioned before attach from the rock to the rear frame rail, and is where the leaf spring perch originally went. So, I'll cut out the bad, cut and bend some good, and get it welded in there.

I have a feeling that I;m going to invest in some POR 15 or something similar before this is all said and done.

After looking over my car some more, I realized it IS in fact really rough. And, as with any project, I need to stay grounded as far as my expectations. Is there anything wrong with a clean and solid driver? Hell no. And, I wouldn't want anything but that. So, I'll repair the rust as best as I can to my abilities, and make it solid and tight. Because after the repairs, almost everything gets covered by paint or more metal or trim...So as long as I know that the fix is of somewhat good quality..and you folk, since you're watching this build..lol...That's all that matters.

Alright, time to grab a sandwhich, shake the sand outta my ears, and head back out there.

-Sam.

Quote: