The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
samwise68
FarmBoy.

'67 Chevy II Build - Betty.

Hey all. I'd like to introduce you to Betty.

She's not much to look at right now, but she should clean up pretty nice.

I picked her up for $500 off of a Craigslist ad about 30 miles north of her. She's a typical Wisconsin car, with all the Wisconsin problems - namely, rust.

Complete with a 194 cid 6 cylinder, and three on the tree. A whopping 40,xxx miles. Hubcaps. Am radio. Stock interior. And rust, lots of rust.

Plans are very much like my truck - fix it, drive it, break it, and repeat. I need to fix the rust, the rear frame rails, floor pans...etc. Typical body work. And then comes the engine.

It'll be a 250, bored .030 over, with 307 pistons. The head is going to get bigger valves, the bolt boss removed and possibly lump ports. An Offenhauser triple single 3x1 intake with Monojets will find it's way onto the engine, along with a set of headers. While it's a part, it'll get a bigger cam, somewhere about .500-inches of lift at 260-280 duration.

Exhaust will probably be glass or steel packs, or maybe 2-chamber mufflers. I'm undecided, as I want the sixy sound, but nothing too high pitched, resembling a sewing machine.

The three speed will be used for now, and I'm contemplating between keeping the stock column shift, or switching to an aftermarket Hurst shifter. Depending on what gear ratio it has, those could be changed for better bottom end, but we'll see.

The rear end will get some steeper gears when funds allows, possibly in the 3.5-3.7 range. As far as stance, I'm looking at 14's in the front, 15's in the back, with as wide of tire as I can fit into the meager wheel well, while keeping the stock caps.

Aside from that, I'm thinking a red paint job is in it's future, possibly IH Red, as it should go well with the stock fawn colored interior, which is in too good of condition for me to worry about recovering the seats.

All in all, a clean semi-daily driver thats different, has character, and won't be too much of a slouch. Oh, and won't cost me an arm and a leg to do. Being in college has it's limits. If the car were a person, I'd like to think she'd be the nerdy yet cute girl in class. The one where you're like, "Hmm...if she just took those glasses off, and didn't braid her hair..." kinda deals. Yeah, you know the ones. And then they turn out to be a real hell-raiser after a few drinks. Thats exactley what I'm going for.

So, Once I got her home, I started to tear 'er apart.

Got the interior stripped.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993

Last edited by samwise68; 03-06-2009 at 08:54 PM.
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote