The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 AM   #26
Jvsapp

Re: 63 4 door build up. NOVACATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Looking really good man!
Thanks!!! i've got soo much more to list. just have to find them. here's some of the latest ive been able to find......
stripping the fenders, hood top. time frame is Feb 03

CHECK OUT THOSE LAYERS OF PAINT. i think i had 7 layers on the hood.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-31-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 AM   #27
Jvsapp

rust repair.... i cut out the drip rail to repair the roof. it's soo funny that going through these pictures i keep running into why it took me soo long. my truck lost an engine. several months later lost the trans etc... it's amazing... back then that was my daily driver. MARCH 03

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-31-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:56 AM   #28
Jvsapp

ok last for today. sandblasting the door jambs, and finding more rust in the rear quarters. MAY 03

Old 04-11-2009, 05:48 AM   #29
rod86
great southern land

comin along nicley... well done mate

86 chevy c10 silverado
rod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #30
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Man, I'm really glad mine only has rust in the lower quarters and floor right about now...that rust around the windsheild scares me...haha.

But, I suppose. It's just metal, like the rest of the car..

Loving the progress, especially since we already know what the finished product looks like.

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:48 AM   #31
Jvsapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod86 View Post
comin along nicley... well done mate
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise68 View Post
Man, I'm really glad mine only has rust in the lower quarters and floor right about now...that rust around the windsheild scares me...haha.

But, I suppose. It's just metal, like the rest of the car..

Loving the progress, especially since we already know what the finished product looks like.

-Sam.
yeah it was a little overwhelming, but the bottom of the cowl was solid. i've seen some here that i could put my fist through the hole. that's work and not worth repairing. i'll post more pics when i get back to work or tomorrow night if i get some time i actually have alot already on another site, but some of these pics on this one i never could find. and yes it's practically done just a few minor things and i should be rolling. but the corolla is occupying all my time at the moment. oh yeah and there was that set of 50Merc wheels my friend wanted me to sandblast for the show coming up on the 18th. i hope i can get there and shoot some of our local flavor. let ya'll see what us islanders cook up
Old 04-17-2009, 04:12 AM   #32
Jvsapp

ok so i guess i took long enough trying to work on my corolla. here's more update pics of the car. painting the engine bay. gettting lines and hardware back in engine bay. 3/06(yes it was a while inbetween. lots of distracting in between) 4/06 was the install of the lines.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 04-17-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:39 AM   #33
Jvsapp

ok wait that one was a little premature.... here's them pics i have to get the correct order in...
painting the engine bay. gettting lines and hardware back in engine bay. 3/06(yes it was a while inbetween. lots of distracting in between) 4/06 was the install of the lines.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #34
Jvsapp

ok crap i put the wrong order in. these pics were from before the last set... not sure why it's not letting me edit the last post... but if i can later i'll change them around... these were during 05... i can't seem to find some of the pics from 04 for some reason. guess i have to do more searching. these have the car all in primer.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #35
Jvsapp

took a break from working on all cars today. went to the local rod and custom show we had here. enjoy:
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...hop/RC%20SHOW/
Old 08-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #36
Jvsapp

ok i figure i update this a bit. here's why there were no updates in late 03. besides getting married(late 04) and working on my bro's wagon, i lost the engine in my truck. the blue(yes it's ford blue) goodwrench crate motor gave me 100K miles and was 5 terrific years till i over revved it on a freeway onramp trying to beat traffic. i bent 2 push rods on #5 and didn't find it right away. when i finally found why my truck was missing it changed them out(one was broken in 3 pieces). but i hurt the engine. it developed a knock and i needed to change it out. so here's the process. 45 min and i had the engine out by myself.

too bad i couldn't have the time stamps. i did degrease the whole engine bay again when i had the engine out. it was funny i had to pick up the engine with my mother's 4 runner. the guys at checker were tripping how i could get it in there without trouble. more pics coming.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 08-24-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #37
Jvsapp

then in i think early 04 i lost the trans. the trans i put in behind the purple engine had a stall and was a "race"trans i got for a song. it was nice, but the stall was weird. never drove a stall converter trans before, but it would stall up to around 2200rpm. slip slip slip then start to grab. if i stood in it off the line it would rev them BANG bite right around 2500rpm. i guess because i didn't have a better cooler i fried that trans. so out it comes again. everyone told me to just pull it from the bottom. i was hesitant about doing it and i knew better. a lesson learned i will never pull a trans under a car/truck alone again. the stupid trans fell on me and i was pinned under my truck. it took all of my energy to nudge the trans off me. once i got it off my chest it was still on my right(dominate) arm. so i was able to breathe a little, then finished yanking my arm out from under there. the trans slipped off the jack. from now on i only pull the engine(which i have down to a 45 min job) to take the trans out.

by the way the purple motor only lasted 1 week outside it's 1 year warranty. i lost the lower radiator hose on the engine while i was heading up hill on a 5 mile stretch. didn't realize it till the engine kind of stumbled. looked down the temp gauge was almost all the way around. was able to pull it to the side of the road, get into a cemetary and get some water in the radiator so i could cool the truck down. i hurt that engine, warped the heads, and it also developed a knock. so out it came and in went another goodwrench crate motor in july 04. oct 04, the day after i got married, my best man helped me change cam in that motor and it's been perfect since. i think i'm lucky to get 500 miles on my truck a year, but it's my most dependable vehicle. starts every time i jump in. but we'll get back to the nova here shortly. just wanted to show why there was a big gap in my work... life gets in the way.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 08-24-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #38
Jvsapp

ok this post was supposed to come before post 33. this was when i fixed the firewall holes. there a drip on the inside right above the fuse block. seems like a common place for novas. i had to cut a way a portion of the firewall so i could get some POR-15 in there to seal it up. also welded up what i could top and bottom. this all happened early 06 like jan i believe.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 08-24-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #39
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Man, you make it look so easy. Definitely an inspiration, especially when one realizes that it's only metal.

Love seeing the progress pics, and what it took to get to the final product.

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #40
Frizzle Fry

Keep it comin!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #41
Jvsapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise68 View Post
Man, you make it look so easy. Definitely an inspiration, especially when one realizes that it's only metal.

Love seeing the progress pics, and what it took to get to the final product.

-Sam.
thanks, it was no where near easy though. just keep plodding along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Keep it comin!
will do when i get back to work tuesday.