The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #176
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Re: '67 Chevy II Build - Betty.

The frame rails are all welded up, and ready to be fit into the car. I used some 6011 rod, and beaded the joints, ground down the welds, and them put a "tie" plate over where the joint would be, and welded that in as well. Essentially, there's no way the weld should fail.

Now, I just have to dig up some tubing to act as a crossmember or two for installing the frame rails, along with braces to the rockers by the rear wheel well. Just need to make sure everything is tied together and sound.

Hopefully I can get some more done here soon. Work is slowing down some, so by all rights I should be able to accomplish some more on it. Once the frame rails are in, and the suspension is taken care of again, in regards to spring, shock, and panhard mounts...I'll be golden to carry on and attend to more traditional (and much more well documented) issues at hand.

Until then, we'll keep plugging along...

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #177
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Well, let the mock up begin!

Unfortunately, it proves some of my prior work isn't quite "square", so to speak. However, thats nothing a level, a square, a string and tape measure shouldn't be able to cure. I'm gonna go back through and level the car, etc, to make sure everything is kosher.

I'm also having some dilemma's as to how to go about mounting the rear frame rails to the subframe connectors. At the moment, I'm slipping them over the connectors, but now I need to decide if I want to bolt them in, weld them in, or both. Or have them on the insdie...or over the SF Connectors, but for the bottoms are flush...

I'll take pics and throw together a drawing to explain myself a bit more, haha.

My work hasn't been calling me to inform me when to come in, due to it being a "as-needed" position (and my boss' ineptness somedays) but that's neither here nor there. So, after I get some homework done today, I'm going to head back out to the garage.

Another post will be coming soon, I assure you all.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #178
Jvsapp

yeah pics would be good!
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #179
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Ok, got a bit of homework done. And no word from work. So, off to the garage I go!

In the meantime, this is a crude pictoral of my dillema.

If I put the frame rails on the inside, I gain more clearance for tires. If I put them over the subframe connectors, it's just more conventional. Hah. I'm not sure which will be stronger, as they'll both be bolted and welded I think. The inside rails, there is more area to weld.

Opinions?

I'll check back in a while, after I level up the car and check the square and everything. Then we'll go from there. haha

Thanks in advance guys.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #180
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Well, here are some pics. Didn't get much done, but, it's better than nothing.

kinda self explanitory on the pics...

i'm going to go with the rear frame rails over the subframe connectors for the time being. Simply because it's simpler right now, and I don't think I need that much inboard space for tire - I already have ~15 inches. Honestly, for a street car that'll probably never see track time...I'll be ok. haha.

So, that's about where she sits right now. I'm hoping to get the backseat braces tacked to the frame rails and the frame rails tied to the inner rockers next. Then, I'll dig the rear end and trailing arms out, and get back at that again. This'll let me muck up where the new spring mounts go, along with shock mount placement, etc. All in all, it should be pretty simple - but it's always easier said that done. haha

I'll keep you all posted.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #181
samwise68
FarmBoy.

So, a long overdue, but quick, update.

I moved the axle - again. Now it seems to be centered, so I'll do some more measuring before I call it good.

I also have a new prospective powerplant for the car. It's in pieces in the garage right now, but I'm current;y in the midsts of determining if it'll be worth going forward with. My right foot and seat of my pants are screaming yes. My wallet is quivvering in fear. What could it be...

And, that's about it. I've been busy doing nothing, it seems. School is cracking down, and work cut my hours so I'm down to a day or day and a half per week. So, less money, but more time if i get my homework done. Ah well, one more semester and I'll have my degree.

And thats about it. As things progress more, I'll update. I promise. With pics!!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #182
Jvsapp

sweet. bump for the pics!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #183
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Jeepers, I lag something fierce.

Ok, as promised, Pics!

Just random chassis and suspension pics. Thats in the midst of being finished - fear not!

And now, the side project that successfully distracated me for a handful of days.

Yeah, thats an Oldsmobile. 455 Rocket, they call it. And yes, I am just screwing around with it for the time being. It was fun to tear it apart and such. And I may end up rebuilding it and shoving it into my car or my truck. Who knows. Just for sitting for so long, the cylinders look pretty alright. A quick rebuild and it can hit the road again, with torque numbers off the scale.

So, thats what I've been up to. The semester is winding down, so I'm crunhed with homework and such. And deer season started today. But that'll soon pass as well. And then I can try to get back to work.

So, there she be. Let's hear it.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #184
Jvsapp

woah olds 455. more expensive to fix than a 454.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #185
samwise68
FarmBoy.

True, true. However, when it's free...I really have to consider the possibility of using it. It's when things snowball and the, "while I'm at it, I might as well do this..." comes along that things get out of hand.

I don't have the money to do it now. And something else might come up. But, if I scrap together a couple hundred bucks, I'll have to consider throwing it together even with a stockish rebuild, and shoving it into my car. Or truck, for that matter.

That much torque is just so tempting. I mean, it moved a '72 Delta 88 effortlessly - even with two cows in a trailer behind it. With a two barrel intake! So, maybe it's nostalgia and pipe dreaming, who knows.

With my planning, it'd cost me roughly 300-350 to put it back together. That includes starter, water pump, lifters, gaskets and bearings, along with a four barrel intake, etc. A few more dollars for a cam, etc. 455's are fickle *****es, it seems. So, if nothing else I've been learning alot. lol.

It costs me nothing to think and plan, and it was a great diversion from measuring and squaring up my rear suspension, because I was getting pretty frustrated with it. Haha. But, alas. Now we're back to work on the things that matter.

To the garage!

Quote:
Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #186
Jvsapp

true true... nothing wrong with being different too. BTW i just picked up a 355 from a buddie of mine. if things go right it might get dropped in in 2 weeks. should be in the 400hp range with the xe274 cam, full roller rockers and stud griddle. gear drive
Old 11-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #187
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Oh man...jealous! That's a healthy damn motor. That'll be quite a change from the 194 thats in it now, eh? hahah.

Quote:
Old 11-23-2010, 02:20 AM   #188
Jvsapp

yeah about a 275hp jump. and the T5 trans with centerforce clutch and the blow proof bell housing will hopefully slide into the same shifter hole i cut for my T350. then i can have a nice 5 speed behind the 355. that will make the car fun!

it was a smoking deal i couldn't turn down.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 11-23-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #189
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Well folks, plans have changed...again! Big surprise, I know...I know...

Fear not. In the past 2-3 weeks I've made more progress than in almost the past 2 years. So it makes up for it.

Pics are coming, I just want to get a few more things tied up before I post up. Kind of a big unveiling...Or, rather, to show you all that I'm bat sh!t crazy. Haha.

So, I've returned. To all my loyal followers..the like, 2 or 3 of you, it's a-comin'!

Quote:
Old 03-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #190
Jvsapp

sweet.... well i'm trying to find time myself to get on mine.... to many things in life complicating things... looking forward to see your progress
Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #191
threeonthetree

Cant wait to see what you got coming!

my old man had a 1960 dynamic 88 with a ROCKET in it haha

its gonna be sick man!
threeonthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #192
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Sweet! Lookin' forward to the pics!

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #193
kyull67

Come on now
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #194
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Ok..ok...Jeepers...haha.

I didn't get as much done as I had hoped to before I posted pics. This week and weekend are mid-terms for me, so I've been swamped. However, next week is spring break, so things should get done by then.

So, I started with this.

Yes, that's an old Ford frame. Old old Ford frame, with wishbones and a banjo rearend. My grandpa turned it into a silage feeder for the cows. I stole it back. haha.

And before things get too confusing. I cut the old Ford frame up for the frame channels. In hindsight, I should've bought straight and new metal for it. But, when you have more time than money...you do whatcha gotta do.

I welded plated to the ends of the frame channels, which bolt to the front subframe of the Chevy II. After lots of measuring and levels and plumb-bobbing and remeaurings and cross-checking...It's pretty damn close.

So, I've essentiall create a full frame for this car. The Ford channels are hooked up with the frame kick-ups I made way back when, and the cross member for the trailing arms is thrown into the mix as well. The front plates of the Ford channels will sandwich the stock mounting plates for the front subframe on the body of the II, bolting to the front subframe, and theoretically giving me a secure and safe mount for the frame. Appropriate bracing and welding is in the works, of course.

The frame channels hook up nicely with my the kick-ups I made from tubing..

Motivation for the whole project.

I rolled my front stub down from the shed, and started to mock things up. It kind've looks like a car now..

And the rear suspension, complete with mocked up shocks, panhard, springs...the works.

And now, Im working on patching the firewall and that area up, so I can properly bolt the front subframe to it, and continue the mock up.

And that's where she stands. It's a bit hob-knobbed together, but I think it's going to work..for once. After piece mealing the whole things together, I simply cut it all out and started with a shell. And I'm pretty happy with that decision at this point in time. Haha.

We''ll see how it all goes together. I'm dangerously close to ordering rear quarters for it, and I'm thrilled to finally play with something thats a bit more conventional that fabricating a whole frame out of spare parts and chewing gum...

So, whatcha think?

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #195
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Well, so much for having "Spring" in "Spring break". 16 inches of snow overnight will put a damper on just about anything - including my project.

Updates this weekend, I hope!

In the mean time, I'm researching info on the Olds. Trying to scrounge up a flywheel for it, etc. Ya know, weighing my options before I commit too much time...ok, really, too much money...haha.

Thats about it for now. I'll keep you all posted.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #196
kyull67

looking good, nice progress!
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #197
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Things are gettin' done. Yep, it's actually kind of looking like a car. Kind of.

Update (with pics...?) coming soon!

Quote:
Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #198
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Ok, as promised, before I flake out and cram some homework in for the night, an update!

This is probably the longest I've worked on one idea within this project. CRAZY.

Since last time, I've been working...mildly hard, at best. Haha. But, I got the firewall and the cowl sides patched so I could bolt the front subframe on, and consequentially, bolt my frame rails and back end assembly to that. So, that went alright. I did end up cutting things apart and welding it back together at the mounting plates that bolt to the subframe, because I wasn't happy with the center line and the variance.

I'm currently at 1/8-inch of variance at a maximum, as far as I can tell. And that was before I added more bracing and leveling, etc. So, all told, it's sloppy. But compared to how these cars came off the line...I think we're alright.

I then welded in braces from the rockers to the frame rails right before the wheel well. Now the tail pan is tyed to the frame rails as well, and soon (as in tomorrow) there will be angle braces from the frame rails up to the package tray (I think that's what it's called...) Pipe with angle iron end to disperse the weight: it's crude, but it should work.

Aside from that, trying to scrape up enough cash to order my rear quarters. When those are ordered, it should be fairly straight forward from there on out. Installing those will be a pain, but, it's simply enough. Then it's just some rust repair in a few other places, like the front fenders, fabbing up some floor pans and driveshaft tunnel...a bit of interior work...drivetrain...

Hell, we're practically on the road!

H'Okay. And pictures.

A firewall patch. It still needs to be cleaned up, but it's solid. And, by the odd change that it doesn't get ground down...eh.

A cowl side patch. Flanged, and plug welded on top. Butt welded elsewhere.

A mock up of tying the frame rails to the tail pan. I later welded a piece of channel along the tail pan in order to have something solid to weld to. It turned out pretty neat. Now just to finish welding it...

It see's light!

And trunk lid on, to ensure squareness and such. Unfortunately, the tumblers are shot in the lock. Fortunately, a screwdriver accomplishes the same job handily.

So, that's where she sits as of now. In all seriousness, it's nice to see it start to come together and look like a car, instead of just a shell that sits on jackstands. So, I figure if I keep plugging away at it, and happen to get lucky in a few aspects...It won't be too terribly long until it's...well. Not sitting in the garage. Haha.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #199
Jvsapp

great progress sam!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #200
JDL

keep em comming