The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2004, 05:25 PM   #26
cableguy0

the pic 72 custom camper posted looks like my tank that they cut the gaping hole in the bedside for. im guessing it was a dealer option because its not listen on the option seat
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:50 PM   #27
Hook'em

Here are some pics from my truck. It sounds like you are considering something different, but I figured it would not be a bad idea to make the thread as comprehensive as possible, especially for future searches.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2004, 12:28 AM   #28
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

My brothers 72 has the filler necks in the well like that,the only thing is the amount of crap that accumulates on the cap.Of course he's not one to take the highway when a different option presents itself
He's always scraping the junk off with a screwdriver before he opens the cap.

Like I said,if you're not into yard farming all the time it won't matter prolly
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 01:33 AM   #29
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

K, I finally got pics. As you can see, this would be a super easy install if you can find the parts. I see these from time to time in the local yards. Will start grabbin some I think. Could be used for the blazer tank conversion I think.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2004, 12:19 AM   #30
BobS

Dealer installed used the silver doors or filled through the wheel well. Factory installed came up through the box with the blazer shroud around the hose and filler neck. Factory units were only installed on the driver's side.

Bob

62 GMC W5000 NAPCO-V6
65 GMC 2500 NAPCO Panel-V6
66 GMC 1000-V6
66 GMC 1500-V6
67 GMC K1500-SBC (originally a KM-V6)
68 GMC C1500-V6
68 GMC C1500-V6
68 GMC Suburban C2500
70 Chevy K20-SBC
71 Chevy C30 Longhorn-SBC
72 GMC Suburban C1500-BBC
72 Chevy C10-SBC
72 GMC C5500-ToroFlow Diesel
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:09 AM   #31
modifiedGMC

My nephew gave me an idea..... put the filler neck inside the rear side marker hole. So with a little designing and some modification I put my filler cap behind the left rear side marker. I made a hinged plate and mounted the whole marker on so it would hinge forward to access the filler cap. It took a little trial and error but I finally got it to where it would work.
modifiedGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:13 AM   #32
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modifiedGMC
My nephew gave me an idea..... put the filler neck inside the rear side marker hole. So with a little designing and some modification I put my filler cap behind the left rear side marker. I made a hinged plate and mounted the whole marker on so it would hinge forward to access the filler cap. It took a little trial and error but I finally got it to where it would work.
Welcome from Northern California!!! and here is proof that great minds think alike. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=side+marker There is a better thread on this somewhere, I seem to have lost it.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:50 AM   #33
4x4Poet

Hook'em, you're not going to believe this, but I have a low-tech solution for keeping the aux tank filler neck & cap reasonably clean during road travel. You know the can coolers that come in half-inch foam? Duct tape the bottom hole shut from both sides, and then simply slip it over the cap. As long as you have a stretched friction fit, it stays put. Pull it off to refill the tank and you'll find little to no dirt. The dirt won't even work its way up much from the bottom. If loose to start, just add a lining to size it.

For bling bling set-up, tie-wrap a cut and slit can cooler to the neck just below the filler cap. Then you'll have a slip-fit seal from the bottom. Just make sure you still have the friction fit with the cap.:p

In dutiful exchange for this tidbit, please tell me who made those tanks and if they're still available. I also missed whether those wheelwell-exiting filler necks were original or mods. Since those tanks don't fill thru the body, will they work with a 67-72 Suburban?

And does anyone know whether the saddle tanks using bodyside fillers can work with a Sub given minor fuel spout routing mods? Would the spout fit behind the Sub's driver's side pass window assy when rolled down? Looks like the factory installed blazer style necks would interfere with the window coming down, but maybe the lower mounted fuel door spouts would work.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 11-28-2004 at 05:06 PM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 11:24 AM   #34
BobS

4X4Poet,

I've seen a couple of suburbans with what looks to be a factory installed auxiliary fuel tank on the driver's side that filled through a filler neck similar to the one for the main gas tank. I didn't get to see if it was listed on the glove box option sheet though. Another member from California reported seeing dual auxiliary tanks with the same setup in a salvage yard. Not sure where the filler neck came out on the passenger side on that one, it was gone before he could get pictures.

Bob

62 GMC W5000 NAPCO-V6
65 GMC 2500 NAPCO Panel-V6
66 GMC 1000-V6
66 GMC 1500-V6
67 GMC K1500-SBC (originally a KM-V6)
68 GMC C1500-V6
68 GMC C1500-V6
68 GMC Suburban C2500
70 Chevy K20-SBC
71 Chevy C30 Longhorn-SBC
72 GMC Suburban C1500-BBC
72 Chevy C10-SBC
72 GMC C5500-ToroFlow Diesel
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:02 PM   #35
4x4Poet

Thanks Bob. I appreciate all the input and pics. I'm planning a Christmas road trip to Sacramento in my K10, and I only have a 21 gal MTS poly tank, so I'm very interested in this thread.

I question the sighting of a pass side Burb tank with bodyside filler since that would be a tight fit with the third door there. Not impossible, just not probable. Like you said, you only had it on account. In any case, I hope to source, or have built, some wheelwell filler saddle tanks like Hook'em posted.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 11-28-2004 at 04:04 PM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #36
Hook'em

Thanks for the good idea re: filler neck in wheel well. I have no idea where to get saddle tanks like those; they are not on the option sheet but look as though they have been there a long time. Currently, I don't uses either one. One has some rust inside and the cab tank is plenty big for my traveling. I just like the look of them and they make great conversation. Some day I may redo and start using them, so I am going to keep them right where they are.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:40 PM   #37
2low72

I bought a set of saddle tanks from a board member today, and was wondering the best was to clean them as they are really dirty and who knows what on the inside, plus info on installing a sending unit in them (if possible, which everything usually is). any help would be great..
Old 11-30-2004, 12:41 AM   #38
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2low72
I bought a set of saddle tanks from a board member today, and was wondering the best was to clean them as they are really dirty and who knows what on the inside, plus info on installing a sending unit in them (if possible, which everything usually is). any help would be great..
The best thing for the inside is go to the Eastwood web sight and order the gas tank cleaner and sealer kit. To clean the inside of the tank take out the sending unit and get about 2 feet of metal chain and drop it in the tank and shake it around. This cleans most off the rust and scale out. Then use the sealer from Eastwood...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:19 AM   #39
2low72

Is there a way to install a sending unit if one is not previously installed?
Old 11-30-2004, 02:57 AM   #40
GMC Jim

There is a way to install a sending unit in most any tank....In the event there is not the required opening that fits the sending units; a trim ring kit is available....Recalls this consists of a gasket; a ring about 3 inches in diameter with threaded holes that fit the sending unit. There are also other holes that bolt the ring to the tank itself.....Will try to locate this source for these adapter rings thru a local source and post.... I recall I used sending units from J.C. Whitney, wired in a 3 position switch to the sending units and the stock fuel guage; thus giving reading for the main and each of the two underbed auxillary tanks.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:06 AM   #41
Hooter
My other Love

I will take pics of my fuel doors that I put on from a 78 chevy truck, as soon as I get my camera working with my computer agian, I had those ugly aluminum doors as well, and and hated them too
  • 77 fully loaded silverado (back in the backyard for a little while longer)
  • 1980 BMW 320i (back in the garage finally)
  • 1981 f@*d f150 4x4 (Robert red ford) tried to kill me
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike
Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com AC/DC RULES!!!
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:09 PM   #42
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 CustomCamper
The best thing for the inside is go to the Eastwood web sight and order the gas tank cleaner and sealer kit. To clean the inside of the tank take out the sending unit and get about 2 feet of metal chain and drop it in the tank and shake it around. This cleans most off the rust and scale out. Then use the sealer from Eastwood...

Chuck
My saddle tank was baffled. The chain will get hung up. took mine to a radiator shop. They cut it open and tanked it, welded it closed and then sealed/coated it. It was a bit steep at $105. I have a good tank now though.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:12 AM   #43
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

I have a saddle tank that needs cleaning, also. It doesn't have a sending unit, so the only opening is the filler neck (can't see much inside). I'm concerned about the gas tank sealer plugging up the gas pickup (justified or not--I can't see it anyway), so I've thought about just treating it with autobody metal prep. Any thoughts on using autobody metal prep only?
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:32 AM   #44
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Go to www.por-15.com they have a product called marine clean that works pretty good. They also have a product called US Standard that is supposed to be a good tank sealer. I doubt you would have a problem with it clogging your pick-up if you follow their instructions. In regards to the sender. I could not find a replacement for mine so I put in a (I think) VDO adjustable sending unit. I had to re-drill the mounting holes but otherwise it was a perfect fit. Came with everthing I needed for the indstall also.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:26 AM   #45
mrein3

I bought a fuel gauge and float from JC Whitney a few years ago for less than $50. I think it was more like $25. After I had a shop boil out and seal my tank I installed the float/sender setup and mounted the gauge knee-knocker style under my dash.

The fuel is picked up out of a tube that comes out of the top of the tank. The bottom of the tube doesn't quite reach the bottom. I attempted to make the JC Whitney float work out of the fuel tube's hole but there wasn't enough room so I just made another hole.

The pick-up tube and tank level sensor are in two different holes.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:48 AM   #46
GMC Jim

fuel gauge/float sender

checked J.C. Whitney web site. They have fuel gauge and float sender for $22.95 !! requires a 2 1/8 hole to mount the float.....Jim
Old 12-02-2004, 07:03 PM   #47
franko72
Franko72

my 72 has the factory install dual saddle tanks.drivers side filler is on the side of the bed panel with the gas cap and rubber grommet.The passenger side filler is located thru the rear fender well between the front of the rear tire and the bed side.The filler tube extends out of the back end of the saddle tank and angles upward . It is hardly visible.

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote