View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #1242
Jvsapp

Re: '66 Sunbeam Minx Project - F20C/6sp/4-link/Discs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Cool. I use garnet. Any reason to believe alox would be better?
sorry for the late reply..... been a little busy... it cuts really fast and leaves a good "bite" for them coating. i use it mainly because it's faster but does eat my gun tips fast.
also the directions from columbia coatings say this for using with ceramic coatings
Degrease Part Before Sandblasting! DO NOT BLAST PART WITH GREASE OR OIL ON IT
Sandblast with Black Oxide or Aluminum Oxide. DO NOT USE GLASS BEAD (leaves silicate contaminates)
Blow off excess blasting dust with Clean Dry Air
Preheat part at 400 Degrees for 30 Minutes to eliminate any contaminates missed by sandblasting.
Remove Part from Oven and inspect for defects such as "oil bleed out." Handle only with clean gloves.
Apply ceramic coating with an airbrush or detail touch up gun or similar equipment, with fine spray pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C10Stepside View Post
I doubt it. Softer and not as sharp as garnet. Maybe cheaper...
actually that's not true..... it's more expensive, sharper, and harder....

http://www.optaminerals.com/Abrasive...num-Oxide.html
"Aluminum oxide is the second-hardest mineral after diamond.

Opta Minerals makes brown aluminum oxide produced by fusing bauxite and anthracite in an electric arc furnace at high temperature.

The resulting oxide is over 95% Al203. Its high density and angular sharpness make it one of the fastest, most versatile and economical cutting abrasives available, usable in both dry and wet blasting applications from cleaning and deburring to etching and finishing."

http://www.optaminerals.com/Abrasive...-Cleaning.html

"Garnet, derived from mined Almandite and Andradite mineral deposits, is a semi-precious stone. Once extracted, it is processed and then screened to the desired grade.

The combination of the high density and physical properties make Garnet nature’s most highly efficient, effective and safe abrasive for both wet and dry blasting applications."

Last edited by Jvsapp; 04-27-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote